Early bird kits! -- Now with pictures!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessie15273

Reaction score
I had a litter of 5 born last Wednesday. The mom was only on day 26! Now yesterday they had their eyes open! Their Ears are popped up and they look almost 2 weeks old!Im going out to snap a few pictures now. Should I clean the nest now? I usually do it when they are about to open up there eyes, but that ship has sailed. This litter is always one step ahead of me :lol:

One of my does had babies on day 25 a couple weeks ago, there is no other way she could have been bred other than when I know I bred her. They were totally normal and opened their eyes on the same day as my first litter that was not early, and they are starting to get out of the nest box.

Annie I thought of you when I read this thread this morning! It does appear that baby rabbits can be born early.

I wonder if there is some factor that made the babies mature early?

I don't know, it is so weird when really unlikely things happen when you are new to rabbits. My early rabbits are 2 1/2 weeks old and three of them were hopping around the cage chasing their mom this morning.

jessie15273":u4q3ygfe said:
Mine are 1 1/2 weeks and wont stay in the box. Im in for a handful here!
I have a litter like that. I finally gave up and removed the nest box. It was just a big space-taker. :?

The hutch part of the cage has been lined with shavings and the nest removed. At nine days they are chasing momma around on the wire, and eating her food!

Mom came in and grabbed a leaf, and the little one ran after it!

They are cute, cute, CUTE! :p

You can't tell how tiny they are until you see them with the clover.

Itty-bitty-kit-tys!

wonder if they will wean early also? I think keeping them is a good idea. See if you can breed this ability into your line....

owlsfriend":37d0ewqd said:
wonder if they will wean early also? I think keeping them is a good idea. See if you can breed this ability into your line....

I hope so! Early maturing Mini Rex :p

I will be doing this breeding again definetely! I think i will also breed the does back to the dad when it comes time.

Im definitely liking this<br /><br />__________ Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:06 pm __________<br /><br />Ok! Update time! These guys are almost 7 weeks now and they are MINISCULE! The two brokens were does and the 3 blues were bucks. They were inhaling food at 3.5 weeks and were moved from mama at 4.5 weeks. I dont even know what to do they are so tiny. I am going to weigh them tomorrow, and post pictures, I have 3 other rabbits that are the same age that I bought. Oh my goodness, they are just so tiny!

WOW...cant wait to see pics...you must of done something amazing lol GOOD JOB jessie!!!! ....hey if they were ready they were ready!!!

Latest posts

Back