E. cuniculi suspected now what?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lidtfedtkanin

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a kit that I am very highly suspicious of having E. cuniculi based on an eye that looks like it is growing a cataract on it and an out of the blue weak hind leg. If I am understanding correctly this kit most likely got it from mom as she is only 2 and a half months old. So here are my questions: Do I cull the entire litter and mom? (the remainder of the litter looks healthy at this point and mom is happy as a clam) Do I cull my entire barn? I don't want to spread this to other rabbits via showing. I would appreciate any thoughts anyone has.

Thanks for your time.

The parasite is spread in urine and is killed by 10% ammonia solutions. It is likely that others in your rabbitry have it.

If the doe and other kits in the litter (and the rabbitry) do not have symptoms then their immune systems are managing to keep the parasite in check while the sick kits immune system cannot.

Personally I would cull the kit and litter mates and doe.

the kit with the problem is probably on a downhill ride, -- but-- the ones with no symptoms may / or may not be infected, it can be passed to the kit before birth through the eye [and your kits eye problem is typical ]
I am working on a study to see if it can be treated with garlic garlic-for-coccidiosis-and-maybe-e-c-protozoan-parasites-t20890.html
--any way most rabbits that were tested in the US and UK ,showed a positive blood titer , that only means they were exposed not that they are infected. so it is a big and widespread problem. Most rabbits can live a healthy life with EC exposure, if they have a strong immune system .

I've been doing a lot of research for about a month on e.cuniculi. Its believed 80% of rabbits carry it but only 10% ever show symptoms. So, I wouldn't cull your whole herd, chances are all the other show rabbits have it too. If you get new stock chances are they will have it too. The test for it is a titer test that only shows whether or not the rabbit has ever been exposed to it - not whether or not there is a live infection. From memory, the rabbit is only contagious for a short time after it is first infected, e.cuniculi protozoan spores are shed through the urine of the rabbit right after infection for 3-4 weeks- then that stage of the lifecycle of the protozoa is over so the rabbit is no longer contagious— although I suppose the rabbit could reinfect itself in that 3-4 weeks and start the cycle over and over again. So that is why it should be treated with a antiparasitic drug like panacur/fenbendazole for 29 days and cages should be sanitized.

The rabbit Panacur/fenbendazole is expensive and I was just given advice on treating with Safeguard brand fenbendazole goat wormer because it has the same ingredients and it's way less expensive.

There is also another drug people believe is more effective than fenbendazole called Marquis Ponazuril but it is more expensive and not all vets will prescribe it for rabbits as it is usually used for horses. <br /><br /> -- Fri May 02, 2014 7:42 am -- <br /><br /> Also, medirabbit has a good page on it. http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/ ... hamine.htm

Thank you so much for the responses. I will be interested to find out how the garlic treatment works, so I hope you continue posting your findings michaels4gardens. I started treating everyone else in the barn with Safe-guard, if nothing else, in hopes that I can clear any active cases that may be present at this time. I plan on tearing everything apart and deep cleaning this weekend. This is the first time I have run across this bugger, so I was a bit stymied on the best course of action with the remainder of my small rabbitry. I am a bit discouraged that it is so rampant, and there is no clear way to know if a rabbit is a carrier if they have a healthy immune system and are asymptomatic.

lidtfedtkanin":221mink9 said:
Thank you so much for the responses. I will be interested to find out how the garlic treatment works, so I hope you continue posting your findings michaels4gardens. I started treating everyone else in the barn with Safe-guard, if nothing else, in hopes that I can clear any active cases that may be present at this time. I plan on tearing everything apart and deep cleaning this weekend. This is the first time I have run across this bugger, so I was a bit stymied on the best course of action with the remainder of my small rabbitry. I am a bit discouraged that it is so rampant, and there is no clear way to know if a rabbit is a carrier if they have a healthy immune system and are asymptomatic.
Also check out Barbi Brown's treatment for WryNeck caused by EC. I believe she recommends adding Ivermectin to the regimen.
http://barbibrownsbunnies.com/ecuniculi ... 0TREATMENT

Thank you, I will definitely check out her page. I have some Ivermectin so that won't be hard to add.

Back