dwarf hotots

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I have another question. I know NOTHING about showing, lines, anything like that, so I have no idea what line names mean. Are the Mingus and Percy lines good? Does it matter? Any information about showing, lineage, breeding, etc would be fantastic.

My sister has had Dwarf Hotots for several years and has had several litters so she could definitely tell you more than me. Dwarf Hotots are a "rarer" breed, and very few if any are at shows around here (SC). My sister is usually the only one showing. One thing I notice with the doe you pictured is her ears V, are too long and need to be more rounded at the tip. From the pictures, it almost looks like her eyeband is thin at the top? It's really hard to tell much of anything else, and the buck you can tell absolutely nothing. If you are looking for awesome show stock, the pictures of the parents are not enough to tell you anything because you really don't know what you're going to get. Overall decent, dwarf type. If that is all that is available then you can give it a shot, but I would be asking for posed pictures as those tell you pretty much nothing about the important details.

My sister will tell you Dwarf Hotots are so sweet, but my opinion is they can be a bit temperamental, jumpy, scratchy. They're certainly no Britannia Petite though. More like a scratchy Netherland Dwarf. I firmly believe this is because they are not as developed and far along. Thriantas are the same way, and it is said Netherland Dwarfs were in the beginning.

I am Heb's sister. The Dwarf Hotots pictured will be okay to start with. I agree the eyebands on one look a little thin and uneven. The ears do V, but not horribly. Posed pictures are a necessity. Look for nice dwarf type in the kits you chose from. I look for short rounded ears, rounded head, and compact body. A lot of Dwarf Hotots don't have enough depth and roundness. Mingus and Percy are both great lines.

Dwarf Hotots are extremely rare in my area, and I almost always the only one showing. They truly are a great breed, but are very challenging.

Back