dumb question! How do you play with an LGD pup.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jollysrabbits

Reaction score
I am picking up my first LGD pup (anatolian shepherd) tomorrow, and I know your not supposed to let them play bite, tug of war or fetch, because these all go against their instincts as a guardian dog, and they should have very little prey drive, so after all this explaining to my wife how of course were gonna love and take care ofnthe dog BUT it is a WORKING dog, she looks at me and asks " how do I play with it?" :shock:
I have no clue, lol. On another note we literally stumbled onto 6 acres and will be fixing up the place in the next 2 months following the move. We are VERY excited. No more hiding my animals in my backyard!

First of all, congrats on the six acres!! You will be able to spread out nicely with that space.

As to your pup, I believe your time with the pup should be watching it get used to and guard its charges. Walking it around, showing it the ropes. It needs to focus on its charges from an early age. An LGD is not really a pet, consider it more a field worker. I can see you know that, but convincing others can be tough.

Anatolians are beautiful. I hope you post pics :)

You really shouldn't interact with it all that much, or it will think you are its flock. It should be focused on the animals... so don't bring it in the house or take it on walks or anything like that. You should walk the perimeter of your property with it, however, to teach it to patrol the property.

LGD's usually aren't very trainable like a companion dog. They are meant to think for themselves, not follow orders.

Mine has no interest in fetch, tug and other similar things. She does love to wrestle, so that's what I do. She doesn't really get chase, but she does it with the pony [he starts it.]
LGDs should still chase off, bite at a predator when they can do so.
They have a ton of energy the first year, they will get bored as all heck if they don't have anything to burn that energy off on every day.

A bored, penned up dog is going to be far more dangerous than a dog who is allowed to burn energy and has things to do.
Mine won't play with any toys, haven't heard of many of them interested in toys, either.

Lots of training, lots of socialization. Remember the goal is to have your pup meet 100 people a week between 8-12 weeks old. 400 total in that time frame. It isn't as hard as it sounds.

Go to dog safe places until the pup has immunity built up to diseases, at least 2 weeks after 2nd or 3rd puppy shot (depends when it was started). Safe places are post office, bank, big box stores (but do ask first), outside at starbucks, places like that.

No pet stores, no dog parks until your pups immunity is built up. Every experience is an opportunity to teach something to the pup. Sign up for puppy classes and then keep going on to more advanced obedience classes.

Shepherds are all smart, they want to learn, they want a job, they want to please you. If they are bored or frustrated they will find something to do.

Do not allow the pup to be rough with any livestock, it can develop into a bad habit that is difficult to break. Other exercise would be structured walk (heel, automatic sit, etc), off lead walks. Teach tricks. Remember training is mentally challenging to a pup or dog so it will burn energy, it is just as important as physical exercise everyday.

No forced exercise (running on lead on lead for more than a few steps and no biking with pup on lead) until a pup is 18 months old, especially on hard surfaces. At around 18 months growth plates close, up until that point damage can occur to joints and soft tissue. The pup is fine to run around offlead, just not where it is forced.

Don't let your pup nip or herd people at all. Even though it is cute when they are 8 weeks, at a year old they will still be doing it and it isn't so cute.

Best advice is to imagine what you want the pup to be like in a couple years, then train with those goals in mind. Set your rules, be consistent, be fair and enjoy your puppy.

Can't wait to see pictures!

LauraNJ":1bcyyzg1 said:
Shepherds are all smart, they want to learn, they want a job, they want to please you. If they are bored or frustrated they will find something to do.

LGD not GSD

Its a gaurd dog, not a pet. Get it attached to what it has to protect. It should sleep near/with them. You don't want to socialize it, but you do want it to understand that you're boss and to not attack humans you allow around.

Whipple":18l03997 said:
LauraNJ":18l03997 said:

LGD not GSD

Its a gaurd dog, not a pet. Get it attached to what it has to protect. It should sleep near/with them. You don't want to socialize it, but you do want it to understand that you're boss and to not attack humans you allow around.

Mine loves all people. =(
lol. So much so, she thinks she's a lap dog even when you're standing. =D

Research the breed you are getting, not all LGD are made the same!

Whipple":3l4gy4yn said:
LauraNJ":3l4gy4yn said:

LGD not GSD

I know an Anatolian is not a german shepherd dog, LOL. ALL shepherds have inherently the same instincts as far as temperment overall.

If you look at the Antolians description you will see it says naturally reserved with strangers. They are a fierce guard dog and not just to predators but you have to be careful with people; guests, especially if you have kids and their friends come over.

An Anatolian is much different than lets say a Great Pyranees. Very different instinct around people they do not know, even if they are no threat.

Same instinct to guard livestock but how an Anatolian reacts with people requires much more work during puppyhood unless you have really great insurance for when your dog bites the neighbor or an invited guest. If you never have anyone over then it is probably ok to seclude the pup.

thanks all, very interesting read, this is gonna be a challenge and fun at the same time, the pup is 8 weeks old, my boxer/dobie mix is 1yr now.both are males and neither will probably be neutered. I know we were not quite ready but the breeder selling them is prego and about to pop, so she is offloading the pups to good working homes for $500 bucks. They are pedigreed (not included at that price) but I did ask to see the parents and the paperwork for proof. I am very excited, but hoping for the best, we will be getting 2 pygmy goats for him to live with to nourish his instinct until I build the fences and bring in my kiko goats! Then we will bbq the pygmies LOL. Any advice is appreciated, I am new to this, but these are my dreams and aspirations and I will succeed, I am like a sponge and just soak up info, but I always prefer knowledge from folks that have done it first hand.

I have a friend who does LGD rescue, If you would like her contact info, I can PM it to you. I do know of a few Anatolians that made for great Service Dogs. Their metabolism is a LOT faster than other large LGDs-- you will find them eating WAY more than most larger LGDs. Due to the "shepherd" nature, they are more likely to stay within fence lines than say, A Great Pyrenees or Maremma!!!
Obedience training is a must-- You HAVE to be able to call the dog in when you need to work the stock, have visitors, groom the dog_{do not let it matt up-- makes for nasty skin issues}-- or need to take it to the vet. Basic CD level obedience work is fine-Just DO IT NOW!!! Your dog will need to know which other dogs are permitted near your livestock, as well--(your Dobie, for instance) Many peple work their LGDs in pairs- that way, there is always a set of open eyes and ears on guard..

Best wishes on the new pup

I'm from anatolia myself (turkish origin) but live in holland, so i don't get to see them "work" in my homecountry. I know one in my neighbourhood, she is very unusual dog, especially compared to my golden retrieve who is a bouncy, grow up puppy.
She doesn't like other dogs, kind of ignores them. Walks slow like a grandma, always watches the surroundings for any activity and likes to sit in the middle of a field or the park to watch everything that moves. And they will keep dogs away who get close to their territory, area where they live.

Oh and it got one of my baby rabbits, years ago.
A friend had one in her hands, she let it fall and the dog got it, played with it like a ball and took it to its house. The owner got it there out of its mouth, it broke something and died the next day.

lol, I don't know if I want my dobie near the stock, probably lick it and play with it till it has a dang heart attack, but if and when my dobie gets out into the field I do not want my lgd to kill my dobie either. Double edged sword. I will need to train my dobie more, I know he can't be trusted without supervision, but I would love for him to be able to run and play outside while I am there.

Latest posts

Back