Ducklings!!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarayTala

Reaction score
One of my muscovies has just hatched out her first clutch of ducklings! So far I have coutned six, with more still hatching! Im so excited for these little ones, i have to resist checking every couple minutes. Im not sure if I'm going to let her raise them all or do some in the brooder so I can handle them more. I would like to keep at least one duck from the batch. The rest will probably be food unless someone wants to buy some. I raised some meat chickens this year which were kinda gross to raise, they didn't act like normal chickens and the poop was terrible.... I'm thinking all of our chicken will be replaced with rabbit and duck from now on. I do so love duck meat. And the little ones are so fluffy and adorable! Gunna do another little happy duckling dance now!

DUCKIES!!! :p :p :p

Lucky you! :D

Personally- I would leave them with the mom, just because of the mess of having them inside. I love that my hens go broody now so I don't have to raise chicks in the house anymore.

I haven't ever had ducklings (my trio were pretty big when I got them), but they are stinky... so I would think baby ducks would be worse than chicks to raise indoors.

If your brooder is outdoors, and you think you might be able to sell some as pets if they are tamed, it would be fun to do. :)

Next time you go check them, remember to bring your camera! :camera:

Well, I raised the five I have indoors when I got them, so I'm willing to take the chance :D A few ducks are nothing compared to 25 cornish crosses. Those were terrible.

DarayTala":16vuczwj said:
Is there a way to upload pictures from my phone?

There has to be, because people will often post pics and say "Sorry about the lousy cell phone pics", but I have no clue how to do it myself.

Well, raising cornish crosses indoors (only for the firs. 4 weeks) was NOT something I will do again :lol:
I tried to attach a picture from my phone, hopefully it works. I had to go out and take one real fast, the others I had it said were too big. I do hope this goes through because Freckles definitely is tired of me poking around her nest.

Attachments

• CAM00979.jpg
    CAM00979.jpg
    511.5 KB · Views: 358
I see them!!! :p

Too cute! Tell Freckles we will leave her in peace now, but to hurry up and bring them all out to explore! :)

As a fellow muscovy owner, congrats on the new chicks!

That said -- muscovy ducklings are stinky and messy at both ends. As much as I wish my muscovies were friendlier (like, they would let me pet them) there is no way I could raise them indoors. My mother complained...daily...about the stinky duck yard. If cornishX are worse, I'm glad I haven't tried them!

Im surprised to hear that about your muscovies. I started with five and they were super easy to keep indoors, much less smelly then the khaki campbells cause they didn't make as big a mess with their waterer. They are also a lot friendlier then the khakis. My drake is an attention hog, he isnt happy unless hes being petted and snuggled and given treats. My ducks arent as friendly but they tolerate being petted when they feel like it and come hang out with us. The khakis have only barely started taking treats from our hands on occasion and then run right off. Muscuvies are by far my.favorite ducks ever.<br /><br />__________ Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:14 pm __________<br /><br />Freckles brought the little ones out for their firat walk! And a picture of a few of the khakis exploring the dog house just for the fun of it.
I did end up bringing a few in, I had put two khaki eggs under her to hatch and the other duck still sitting on a nest in the coop started attacking just those two. Shes fine with the rest of Freckles's chicks, and Freckles wasn't bothered by the khaki foster chicks, but she wasn't really trying to protect them either. So those two are inside, with a couple extra muscovy chicks for warmth. The one that Mohawk was really going after seems to be favoring one foot, I don't see an injury but it definitely has a bit of n issue walking. Hopefully it heals up or can get by like that. Everyone else is doing great, and they are so adorable to watch, I spent hours today just stopping and staring at them.

Attachments

• CAM00983.jpg
    CAM00983.jpg
    898.5 KB · Views: 326
  • CAM00981.jpg
    CAM00981.jpg
    889.4 KB · Views: 326
  • CAM00985.jpg
    CAM00985.jpg
    725.5 KB · Views: 326

Latest posts

Back