Does this sound like an okay deal?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahMelisse

Reaction score
So I'm changing how I sell my rabbits... I used to sell all my French Angora rabbits for $70 including the pedigree. I'm not so sure I want to do it this way for a number of reasons, one of which includes not wanting my pet/wool quality babies making it to the show table with my name and representing my Rabbitry.

What do you think of this:
* For $70 all rabbits will be sold with a "birth certificate" which includes that specific rabbit's information such as: includes: name, sex, color, birth date, ear tattoo number, and parents names. This will kind of be like 1-generation information and I made it look super cute.

* Select rabbits (of my best quality) will have the option of purchasing the 3-generation pedigree for an additional $20 (totaling at $90). These select rabbits will be marked as such and can have their pedigrees purchased at any time for the lifetime of the rabbit. I hope to ONLY sell these select quality rabbits from here on out and send everyone who is sub-par to the freezer.

I also regularly give a $20 discount to 4-H and FFA members so that wouldn't change. I feel lately like I am undercharging for a wool breed as everyone around me is charging $95+ with a pedigree. Of course, no one will be required to buy a pedigree if they dont want to... and especially not if they are only interested in a "wooler".

I'm just looking for a little feedback...

I see show quality with pedigree for X price.
Then brood/meat quality, no pedigree for X price.
Lastly, w/e crap rabbit or doesn't sell for pets, no pedigree at all for X price.

That's all I see around here.

I am trying to figure out how I will deal with my woolers. With the other breeds, I cull everything not showable (except hollands). I don't sell pets from them.
I'd hate to cull a wooler, seems like a waste, but I'd like to keep my current policy, because I've seen it happen before, and I've been on that side where I purchased buns when I first started, that were born from parents that were only supposed to be used for meat, and I had to cull that whole set. So I'm thinking that either it's sold as a wool/brood or show/brood, with peds. Anything else I would keep myself for a time wool or cull.

skysthelimit":3qrn43o6 said:
I am trying to figure out how I will deal with my woolers. With the other breeds, I cull everything not showable (except hollands). I don't sell pets from them.
I'd hate to cull a wooler, seems like a waste, but I'd like to keep my current policy, because I've seen it happen before, and I've been on that side where I purchased buns when I first started, that were born from parents that were only supposed to be used for meat, and I had to cull that whole set. So I'm thinking that either it's sold as a wool/brood or show/brood, with peds. Anything else I would keep myself for a time wool or cull.

That's what I'm thinking. Because these are wool producers, just because they have a less than desire able trait doesn't mean they don't have great wool. I had a kit with great body type and very promising coat.... and a white mark on her nose. (Not a Vienna mark as it turns out... just some leftovers that cropped up from a broken a few generations back) Anyway-- I sold her to a happy spinner with the warning that she cannot be shown and if bred, she can pass on the DQ mark.

I don't mind sending "losers" to camp, but there are a few rabbits with less than stellar ears or stuff like that, that wouldn't be good on the show table or even bred, but would be excellent for wool! Angoras just add one more aspect to be considered I guess.

I understand what you're trying to do, but the whole idea of paying extra for pedigrees rubs me wrong.

ollitos":wti67fpm said:
I understand what you're trying to do, but the whole idea of paying extra for pedigrees rubs me wrong.
Thanks for your input! Would you suggest just charging more for brood/show quality then?

I would simply have separate prices according to quality.

Many people cannot afford to start with show quality animals, but that doesn't mean they wont be able to improve their stock through careful breeding and culling. If I were in their shoes I would appreciate having a pedigree so I would know what was in the rabbit's lineage.

I too won't buy if a breeder charges more for a pedigree. I agree with others, just charge more for all show-quality rabbits. :) Something I am considering is tattooing "PET" in the ear of all rabbits NOT show quality. That's if I ever sell a pet-quality rabbit, LOL.

There should be two types of rabbits to sell.. that is if you don't freezer camp. Rabbits without DQ'S and rabbits WITH DQ'S. You can charge somewhat less for dq's and a lot more for show standard. PERIOD.. Your name does not enter into it if a buyer puts your stock up on the table and neither does the buyer's either. If the rabbit does not win or go on to BOB etc. then no names will actually come into play. Most breeders/showers know what they are looking at anyways, for the first timers you can point out the faults etc. , but I feel it is up to them what they then do with the rabbit. Charging more for pedigrees does give the impression of money-grabbing so I would just print it up and send it with them no matter what. Not giving peds or saying the rabbit is purebred but you can't give a pedigree makes it sound like you may be hiding something in that rabbit's background! Let the buyers decide, its their money and once you agree to take it, your control of the rabbit goes to the buyer. And on the other hand there is nothing to stop anyone from showing anything that fits the breed standard, ped or no ped. It also gives them the opportunity to place their name on your rabbit and start their own pedigree'd line!

I take no offense at all. Thank you all for your thoughts! I don't have any desire to show rabbits, but I do keep the SOP in mind for all my breedings and only keep the best of the best.

It's good to hear what impression this gives off to outsiders. I will just charge less for "pet/wool" quality rabbits without the pedigree and my normal rate for "brood" and "show" quality with the pedigree.

Does that sound better?

SarahMelisse":3tw0xb42 said:
I take no offense at all. Thank you all for your thoughts! I don't have any desire to show rabbits, but I do keep the SOP in mind for all my breedings and only keep the best of the best.

It's good to hear what impression this gives off to outsiders. I will just charge less for "pet/wool" quality rabbits without the pedigree and my normal rate for "brood" and "show" quality with the pedigree.

Does that sound better?

Sounds good to me. If I were considering a rabbit from you, I'd be happy with the price difference. :)

Thanks guys! I changed my website and sales policy a little to accommodate separate pricing according to quality. I don't know why I didn't think about that in the first place.... but that's why you all are here! Good ideas and good feedback. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back