Does it Really Work? Two does kindling in shared space?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TF3

Reaction score
I have read about it in theory... :lol:
but can two co-habiting does kindle together?

Has it worked for you?
Can you tell me how you managed the setup (nests etc)?

{In the spirit of experimentation, I have kept Capt. Holly & Speedwell (full sisters/ littermates) together.
There was a point that they began fighting~ I split them for a week or so and reunited them in a much larger cage.
Every once in a while they chase each other around, but no more scratches or serious fights that I can tell.
They are bred to different bucks, but both due on the 27th.}

Mixing litters isn't a big deal, dams are my harle FG mutts, one bred to my Cali buck, the other my SR buck~ either could through an interesting mix of mutt colours!

The catch is I have to go away on the 28th for a few days and hubby will be in charge...
so if there is any trouble he may miss it or be at a loss.
So that is an additional risk factor... but I know once I split them they won't go back together later (but then, I only want to keep one of them in the end, anyway :lol: )
~ so perhaps the whole idea is moot.
But I'd still like to hear about your experiences...

The biggest issue I've seen people posting about online is from one doe digging another doe's kits out of a nest space.

It would be best to provide two nest boxes for two litters, in case the does aren't cozy enough to combine their litters, and in case there are say...20 popples..

I intend to attempt a similar experiment with Mucky, and a harlequin doe who's been her companion all summer. Only the harlequin will be bred though, since Mucks passes along some kind of genetic disorder. I hope she can just help raise the babies. : )

Thanks! Yes, I figured I would put in two nests and see what they decide to do...
I suppose they could choose various ways of dealing with that...

In my experience one nest has been best as sometimes one litter will get ignored and the other fed twice.

I have had does scatter another doe litter but only when they were born a week or more apart and in a large colony setting - never with does who share a cage and nest box

Hmm, good to know the possibilities.
We'll see how the litters due 10 days before them pan out~ that will determine how much I want/need them together and what risk to take.

Why? They are great girls, but I don't need them both (I didn't sell/ process them soon enough, so figured I'd get a litter out of them, given their mom is a rock star, and see if either is worth keeping before fall sales/camp arrive) so I have been mentally lumping them together and I'm curious about how they could be... but not to the point of losing one or both litters.

If everything works you wouldn`t be able to teel which one is better mom. If does are sharing nest or even have each of their own, usually both feed all of them.

I had the exact same idea a couple of weeks ago. Then I read all the topics here regarding the issue, and I change my mind ;) It is just too risky and I can˙t watch baby rabbits die if there is any way I can prevent it.

When I had my accidental breedings a year ago, I ended up with two cages with two does each. In one cage, the does kindled about 2 weeks apart, in the other it was a day apart. For the first, I put in one nestbox, and by the time the other litter was born, the first litter wasn't using it anymore. For the second, they just both kindled in the same box and both raised both litters. :shrug:

Two boxes in these cages would have been so cramped, I was really trying to avoid it. If you have more spacious digs, it would probably be good to put in two boxes, at least at first. As long as everybunny's getting fed, it should work well. If one litter isn't getting fed, it would be good to remove the fed litter and let the unfed litter get fed, and then maybe combine the litters.

True, Nika!~ I was thinking I can tell kits apart because of the bucks involved (the sisters are very similar) but hadn't thought about knowing which one was providing care... although if it *works* and they can stay together, they can both stay. LOL

I can do two boxes to start.

I'm just going to play it by ear and see~ there are so many variables!
Until the first set of bred does kindle and I see what we have, I don't need to decide (I have three due Monday and hope to combine them down to two litters).
The sisters are due 10 days later.

I've actually had experience with this!!

In my colony this year some of my does just got lazy and didn't want to build a nest so I've had 8 does share nests. there where 4 nests and 2 litters in each nest; they did fine for the most part. all the does where kindling around the same time - maybe some where a week apart in age. I've seen both does feeding the kits and they did a good job of it! one nest had 13 and with 2 does taking care of them they all were EXTREMELY round and grew very fast, all 13 lived as well as the other 7 litters.

but if your does are fighting a lot I would put 2 nest boxes. they may be too territorial to share a nest.

My friend had 2 sisters kindle in the same hutch together and i believe they build one nest and had all babies in the same nest and raised them together. All 11 kits made it. :)

As much as I wanted to do this, I have separated the girls because
1) I will be away for the weekend, starting the night they are due, and my husband needs me to keep it simple :)
2) Speedy has started pulling fur.. her sister's~ leaving Holly naked down her back and it is getting cold at night here LOL

Latest posts

Back