Doe with sores and infections on feet.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tank333

Reaction score
So, I have a pair of does I was gifted, and one of them has some really bad looking injuries on her feet. The first one I noticed about a week and a half ago. I drained it (there was almost solid pus in the wound), and cleaned it up. Today I went to check on her again, and I found another infected spot, this one slightly worse than the first. I drained it, and covered it in a homemade ointment we use for just about everything. It's coconut oil with lavender, tea tree oil and eucalyptus oil (anti-fungal and anti-bacterial, and the lavender helps calm)...

My question is, should I be looking at culling this doe, or is this something she can recover from well. I would just replace her, but I'm broke ans can't afford another doe. I'm gonna have to buy more feed soon and I can't afford that either. Lol.

I will upload some pictures once I figure out how to on my phone...

tank333":yvoey8l6 said:
My question is, should I be looking at culling this doe, or is this something she can recover from well.

You can certainly try to treat it, and see how it goes. It is possible that her prior owners didn't keep her cage clean enough and that was the cause.

Miss M has a doe with the same problem. Here is her thread on the subject:

workaround-for-sore-hocks-t21237.html

You will find more threads on the subject by searching the term "sore hocks".

I would just replace her, but I'm broke ans can't afford another doe.

Hopefully you will be able to get a couple of litters out of her and keep back a doe or two as replacements. Luckily rabbits mature quickly so they will be ready to breed between around 4-6 months.

there was almost solid pus in the wound

That is typical with rabbits- it will be the consistency of toothpaste or can be even thicker. It is also very sticky, so irrigating the wounds with hydrogen peroxide to loosen it up and flush it out is helpful to get the last of it that is adhered to the tissue.

tank333":1naibyzt said:
So, I have a pair of does I was gifted, and one of them has some really bad looking injuries on her feet. The first one I noticed about a week and a half ago. I drained it (there was almost solid pus in the wound), and cleaned it up. Today I went to check on her again, and I found another infected spot, this one slightly worse than the first. I drained it, and covered it in a homemade ointment we use for just about everything. It's coconut oil with lavender, tea tree oil and eucalyptus oil (anti-fungal and anti-bacterial, and the lavender helps calm)...

Keep in mind that the rabbit will ingest this. Eucalyptus and tea tree oil are not good for rabbits, and lavender can cause a pregnant do to empty the contents of her uterus.

OneAcreFarm":12c661fr said:
Keep in mind that the rabbit will ingest this. Eucalyptus and tea tree oil are not good for rabbits, and lavender can cause a pregnant do to empty the contents of her uterus.

Good points, OAF! I didn't think of that- I was too impressed by it being a homemade ointment! :lol:

Tank, you might want to invest in either "Blu-kote" or "NuStock" - both are anti-fungal and anti-bacterial. The Blu-kote is a spray containing gentian violet, while the NuStock is a pine oil based ointment containing sulfur. The Blu-kote has the advantage that you don't need to smear it on which may be uncomfortable for her.

They are available at feed stores for around $10 or so.

I would also like to add that sore hocks sometimes have a genetic component... so be sure to select kits with wide, well-furred foot pads if you do end up keeping any as future breeding stock.

Are the sores on the bottoms of the feet? If so, then that is indeed sore hocks.

The nearly solid white pus is typical of rabbit abscesses. The peroxide irrigation like MSD mentioned is probably your best hope for making sure you got it all out. Abscesses in rabbits frequently recur, so you want to get it as clean as absolutely possible. I would then coat liberally with Betadyne, and then a mound of triple antibiotic ointment on a gauze pad.

The socks have made keeping the dressing on so much easier! And now the bun doesn't need a dressing, so she's just got the socks. I'm hoping they'll prevent her from getting the sore hocks again. :)

Latest posts

Back