Doe urinated on kits - now what?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powellanimals

Reaction score
I had to move my doe with kits into a different cage (found a hole in hers that made me uneasy) yesterday. They are almost a week old, she had been feeding them fine, not a first time mom, has always been a good mom, 5 kits so not too much to handle. I checked the box this afternoon and noticed that the kits had been urinated all over and not fed. I tried to hold her over them but she held still for maybe 30 seconds tops and bolted. I tried numerous times but the same thing happened. Kits got something but definitely not entirely full. The question is - what do I do now? Do I clean them and give them back to her? Do I clean them and try to foster them (I have two other nursing moms, one has six and one just kindled with three but is a first time mom and high strung)? Do I leave them as is and look at them tomorrow? I gave the doe extra BOSS and oatmeal. I am leaning toward leave them as is and see them tomorrow as I don't want to clean them and have mom think they smell even odder than usual but I'm not sure if leaving them as is is a surefire way to get her to abandon them. Thoughts? Thanks for the help!

Thank you! I cleaned out the nest box, saved as much fur as I could and have them inside for the night. I'm hoping she feeds them in the morning as I am going out of town tomorrow night. Keeping my fingers crossed that it was a one time thing.

Latest posts

Back