Doe looks ready, but won't breed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pikku

Reaction score
So, I got my older doe (6 months) to breed a couple weeks ago and she has turned into the biggest love! My younger doe, however, is going through puberty! She is almost six months old now and her vulva is reddish purple. She looks like she should be ready! She growls and lunges at the buck and tucks her butt under if he comes near her, though. I am going to give her time to get over it, but how long does rabbit puberty last? She has turned into a horribly cranky brat! Very unpleasant to be around. She lunges at me, but doesn't connect. I pin her down, but is still very annoying. Any idea how long to give her for bunny hormones? I want nice temperaments for my breeders! Even if they are just for meat I still want them pleasant.
Wrote as I thought, so sorry if it is jumbled.
Pikku <br /><br /> -- Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:32 pm -- <br /><br /> To recap and make it less jumbled. How long does bunny puberty last? Is it a month long, two months? Last until I get her to breed?

I would guess...like most things about rabbits, "Depends on the lines."

From experience, I'd say...if you want nice rabbits don't breed mean ones.

I've bred ones like that and had them get MEANER. Sinking their teeth in me only after being bred. Others have had to breed them more than once before they settled down...making me think it sometimes has more to do with age than breeding.

The does I keep simply never go through that phase. The ones who do get eaten. The goal? Bloodlines that never get irrationally "hormonal."

I've had GREAT mothers who have never growled once in their lives, so I know it's possible. It can make replacing brood stock tricky, so I always growout two does for every one I want to keep...just in case one doesn't meet expectations. A bit more expensive...but worth the effort for me.

I find I enjoy raising rabbits somewhat less when my rabbits are either mean or fearful...and there seems to be some strong genetic components to both traits. They often overlap.

Woohoo, got her to breed. At least if she becomes a freezer camp bunny, with luck I will have a litter to go to camp with her! She let him cover her twice before getting very cranky with him and I had to seperate them. I will let them have another go tonight and hope for the best!

Latest posts

Back