Doe having trouble

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mystang89

Reaction score
So I have a doe that's having trouble getting her kits out. She's about 20 weeks or so old...ish...(too lazy to go back out there and check for exact date) but she was bred on 7/10/14 so I expected kits on 8/10/14. She waited till the 13th to have them. My wife and I stayed up watching her in her nest, (beautiful looking nest) for an hour and when she finally hopped out we checked to see what prize awaited us only to find one (1) kit in the box. Talk about anti-climactic. I palpated her again and found her to still have some in there so I figured she's have them the next day.
Sure enough, I come out the next day and there is a dead, elongated kit right in front of her nest box. Ok, understandable on why she didn't have them all on one day but it was only one kit which would bring the grand total to two (2). I palpated her again and there was still another in there. Figured with the elongated kit out of the way she'd have them that day (14th). Nope. That night....nope. The morning of the 15th? Nope. She isn't distressed. She's not really eating or anything but not distressed. I have her some raspberry leaves which she did eat and I'll go out and give her a pear with a bunch of parsley on it to try to stimulate her contractions and maybe help her pass the kit, which I highly doubt will be alive. As it is the one that did come out looked like it ate the other kits inside her. Giant little booger. Almost as big as the 2 week old kits her mom has.
So to my question. What's the chances that she's going to try to reabsorb the kit(s) inside her, have them calcify, mummify and thereby effectively be a non breed-able rabbit? If that happens I'll be left with no choice but to take her out of the breeding program. If she's just having trouble passing I can chalk that up to her being young, a first time and small of body which should all correct itself next time.

P.S. Sorry for my rambling.

All my lavender died :( Sad part is I bought lavender plants just for this sort of thing too :/ Thank you for the suggestion though. If she's still having problems Sunday I'll ask my mom if I can have some of hers.

I strongly recommend that anyone with a garden plants certain plants: plantain and shepherd's purse for diarrhea, lavender for does having problems with retained kits, catnip for insect repellant, and peppermint to suppress lactation when a doe loses her kits. There are lots of other useful herbs, but those five will take you a long way.

I have not tried tums. What's it do? I'll wait till the wife gets home and ask her where it is.

Well, update: I went out to give her 2 tums and noticed a placenta on the ground and another dead, elongated kit right in front of the nesting box. No extras in the nesting box. I palpated her again and I think she's done as I didn't feel anymore in her this time. I'm probably going to rebreed her tomorrow or at least see if she's up for being rebred anyway.....that might decide her fate. What do you all think, to rebreed tomorrow or not to rebreed? That is the question.

I'm so glad she passed the other kit! Did you give her the Tums anyway?

I would think you could rebreed, but I'd wait for a couple of days to let her heal.

If she has trouble with stuck kits the next time, I wouldn't breed her again after that. But hopefully, it was just a first-timer fluke.

:yeahthat: I don't think breeding her so soon is a good idea - I would give her at least a couple of days to heal first. With her only 5 months old ish, she's still growing and maturing...

Latest posts

Back