Doe failing to thrive

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueHaven

Reaction score
I have a three and a half year old doe, that I got back in july. We bred her and she took before I took her home.
She had a nice litter of seven and fed them well. She seemed to get really stressed once they got to four weeks, so I took two off her every week till they were all weaned. They are doing great and have great size. However this doe has just never really seemed happy since I have had her.
Since weaning her litter she has lost weight. I can feel a much more pronounced spine and if I try I can feel her rib, but not see them. She is grumpy when I handle her, and today she bit me, I knew it was coming.
I will over look it as I knew she feels like crap, but her eyes, ears, nose, foot pads, are all fine. Its just the weight loss.
She is also molting like crazy.
What can I do for her? I would think worming with something, and some extra nutrients of some kind.
Would appreciate any input. She has hay and feed in front of her all the time, is eating and drinking like a pig.
I kind of feel like she just wants to die.

There certainly could have been something wrong with her all along. Having a litter would just bring it to light. I would start with giving her small amounts of fresh greens like lemon balm, raspberry leaf, plantain, chard, etc. Molly's Herbal is something my rabbits love in small amounts mixed into their food (moistened with ACV or something like that).

If she doesn't improve shortly, I'd cull her and keep her healthiest doe from that litter.

Sorry you're having to deal with this. Hope she improves.

What breed and what are you feeding her? What's her pen like? Was she doing well at her old home? Have you contacted and asked about her old feeding regime if weren't told when purchased?

She is a rex was over nine pounds when I bought her. I don't know what she weighs I am going by my hands and eyes. I can go out and weigh her in a few minutes. Her pen was new when we got her. commercial cage with pans. We clean twice a week. Was in good shape when I got her. Has looked fine until the last two weeks. owner said she fed hay only Wednesdays and Saturdays. I feed a hand full of hay every morning and if its gone at night I replace it. We feed twice a day but are usually out there more often than that checking water. I am home all the time so its not trouble for me. I am feeding the same feed the seller does as its locally produced and they all do great on it, no corn or soy, and its all shes feed for years. she shows nationally.
My gut feeling is worms or based on the amount of water she consumes (a lot compared to all the others) possibly diabietes. She is not a fat doe, but is as large as her breed usually allows.

Kidney problems can cause water issues too. But the dull ratty coat says worms. Some times after a doe has several litters they can be bony, nothing wrong with them its just a genetic issue but doesn't seem like that's the case here...hmm I hope she just needs wormed and it isn't some thing else.

Sounds like she was and is well cared for. I really would give worming a shot. Use what you like. Molly's Herbal works well for my rabbits... and they love the taste. Good luck.

Her papers say her heaviest weight was 9.14 She was at nine and a half for me, when she was near kindling. So take a pound of that and she was at least 8 and a half without babies. She is 8 or so today so is now the same weight as her six month old grand daughter. No body fat much at all. Still thinking diabetes.
What is the most likely worm she could have? ( I see nothing in her totally normal looking droppings) Pan was FULL this morning when I emptied it. What and how much do I give her?

I know nothing about commercial wormers. I'm not convinced that she's at a bad weight. Maybe not ideal after-kindling weight yet, but I see hope.

If you use Molly's Herbal, directions for rabbits are included. I like it because it's an over all good supplement, not just a wormer.

Latest posts

Back