Do you ever...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PistolPackingMomma

Reaction score
try to encourage others to raise rabbits/chickens/goats/etc?

Both mine and my husband's family are intrigued by our venture into meat rabbits, and my personal research into other livestock animals, gardening and holistic medicine. It's gone from polite interest to genuine curiosity, and even though I try not to get too excited and ramble on til they become glossy eyed; I'd love to encourage them to get involved and try it for themselves.

Do you do anything to encourage, or just guide along when someone is ready on their own?

When people find out I raise meat rabbits and show a passing interest, I give them a mini-education on the nutritional qualities of rabbit meat, and share how much I enjoy raising them.

We take weekly courses in Advanced Defensive Handgun, and quite a few of our classmates have shown an interest... but they are all "preppers" to a certain extent. One fellow wanted to get started, but his wife nixed the idea. Another wants to come up and learn how to dispatch and process. Yet another requested we bring some cooked rabbit to class this weekend so he can try it, and is interested in breeding if he likes the meat.

Two of my closest friends up here have already started- one bought her buns within a month of me starting with mine, and the other got a couple free mini Rex at a show. Unfortunately, the buck died and the doe is not pregnant, but I plan on giving her a pair or trio of Standard Rex in trade for her help with butchering.

Yep! :p

We try to keep it short and sweet, like you said, so their eyes don't glaze over. Our neighbor across the street has said that he's thinking of getting a meat herd going eventually. I told him and his wife that if they do, we'll help them plan and build, and I will give them their starter rabbits. :) They have been so incredibly helpful to us, I hope they do get into rabbits! I'd love to be able to be a blessing to them, like they have been to us.

Just the ones who are kind of interested in a self-sustainable lifestyle anyway. Or if they ask questions. Or if they read my FB page where I post informational stuff about gardening, chickens, rabbits, etc. I try to play it down because some people start looking at me like I have 12 heads and horns.

coffeenutdesigns":2cik4quq said:
some people start looking at me like I have 12 heads and horns.

What's wrong with that?

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: -->MSD<-- :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

We have given all of our chicken hatches of the last two years away to friends who wanted to start up. I am growing out 7 chicks right now in my guest room :p for my mom, who will pick them up when she visits next month.

My husband passes along a link to some of our garden photos to folks who ask him about it. I spread garden info whenever I can.

As far as the rabbits, I hope to be able to spread info about them to friends once we are up and running with them.

MamaSheepdog":22ova17w said:
When people find out I raise meat rabbits and show a passing interest, I give them a mini-education on the nutritional qualities of rabbit meat, and share how much I enjoy raising them.

:yeahthis: But I don't advertise the fact that I raise animals. Too many untrustworthy people.

Latest posts

Back