Density of coat

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lidtfedtkanin

Reaction score
So I have been scouring old threads trying to learn as much about rex as I can from old posts. Something that kept popping up frequently is to get increased growth rate you give up fur quality/ density. In itself this makes sense when referring to the jr. coat because the rabbit's energy is going to the growth of the body over the coat growth. My question is once they hit adult weight and shed into their adult coat do you see better fur quality or does it remain poor/ less ideal? I am beginning to try to set some goals for the rexes I just obtained (happy dance). :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

For the most part, growth rate is genetic. It's not quite like you are feeding them and they grow faster, and the coat is poor. It's more like genetically selecting for grow rate genetically diminishes coat quality. Bigger Rex tend to have less dense fur. It's almost like you are stretching the skin, and it takes more follicles to cover a larger bun so they aren't as dense. I know that's strange way to explain it, just trying to give you the visual.

Faster growth rate also (sometimes) results in a longer, lankier Rex, with a longer shoulder. It's like the faster growing gene comes with these complications. One suggested reason is that those Rex that grow like NZ's have NZ's mixed in for speed of growth, and the density and Rex type loses something. Rex are a fancy breed first and a commercial breed second. Slower growth is part of their development.

My best fur is small typey ones. It's not impossible to get them growing a bit faster and retain good fur. Like everything else, cull for what you want. 4 years now, and I have buns at 4lbs at 12 weeks and senior weight at 6 mos, with good fur quality.

On your side of the country, you've got some people who have already solved the problem. On my side, people are still content to wait till 8-10 mos to get a Rex at senior weight.

IMHO, breeders often make the mistake of culling because of coats at too early of an age, and it's been especially true with satins over the years.

Density will usually be apparent early, while return and finish will be lacking more often than not. Some of the best rabbit coats I've ever seen in my own litters were rabbits whose coats simply did not prime until late intermediate (7-8 months) or at senior age (9+ months).

SatinsRule":xn9xgu9g said:
IMHO, breeders often make the mistake of culling because of coats at too early of an age, and it's been especially true with satins over the years.

Density will usually be apparent early, while return and finish will be lacking more often than not. Some of the best rabbit coats I've ever seen in my own litters were rabbits whose coats simply did not prime until late intermediate (7-8 months) or at senior age (9+ months).

So true, so I can't understand why there is this big push from some Rex breeders to get the bun to senior weight at 6 mos? You are still waiting for that coat to finish.

You can tell density on a Rex kit, look at the feet. Wide, thick, feet, plush covered foot. Thin and thinly furred feet tell you you've got a density problem.

Back