Dealing with anti meat people?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LookAliveSunshine

Reaction score
I'm torn between a parrotlet and a rabbit. Hubby has low noise tolerance, so thinking bird may not work. Rabbit I could have for a pet or food. But since we're on a month to month lease, I don't know what the future holds for housing for the rabbit. So I thought of butchering him/her. Well that started a war with the parrotlet group. Bunnies are pets not food, they're indoor pets blah, blah, blah. How do you deal with those kinds of people? It just frustrates me. I guess it's like eating a cat or a dog to them?

dayna":2r7lbf3k said:
How do I deal with them?

Easy.

I don't.
:yeahthat:

I'll argue with people on a theoretical/ethics basis, but NEVER on a case by case.

I had someone get very offended when they found out my pork producers are potbellies. "You can't eat potbellies! They're pets!" Not in Vietnam, they ain't. So unless I know someone is amicable to honestly discussing animals as food, that whole slaughter-clean-freezer-cook part never gets discussed. =)

Why even get into a discussion with the parrot people about what purpose the rabbit could possibly be used for?

Any parrot will be louder than a rabbit. I wouldn't get any animal without first clearing it with the landlord though. If animals are not allowed then I wouldn't get one but wait until I moved into a place where it was allowed.

I defiantely would not get any parrot if you live in a no animal place. Someone or your landlord will hear it.

Animals are allowed here. I'm meaning in the future if we move to a rv park, I can't keep anything outdoors, animals/storage etc. Hubby won't let me keep a rabbit indoors, but will allow a bird indoors. I didn't get into it with the bird people, I just ignored their rantings about rabbit meat.

I used to be one of those people (a vegan for many years) but I never had a problem getting along with people who raised their own meat and slaughtered it themselves, but I could not stand the masses who got their meat at the store and didn't want to hear about the conditions they lived in. When I started eating meat again, I ate stuff like wild fish and grass fed beef, and I knew my ultimate goal was to raise and slaughter my own animals. I have succeeded, with chickens and rabbits so far.

Ignoring them is probably the best policy.

Now that they know you'd even consider butchering a rabbit, they might not be nice to you even if you get the bird. :roll:

Tell them you are helping them to preserve their way of life (the anti-meat eater) by killing all these vegatation eating animals....What would happen if SOMEONE didn't step to the plate to defend their way of life......yes, yes, you know you are now their hero, and you will let them broil one of those evil bunnies for you so they can NEVER hurt their vegatation again!!! Being a person of barbaric backgrounds (eating rabbits) they should feel sorry for us, and like all simpletens we should be looked on with pitty....so pass the damn barbecue sauce! That's what I would say anyway.

Bowbuild

I point out the hypocritsy of them

Do you eat meat?
do you eat chicken?
Do you begrudge indigenous people who eat parrots and parakeets and Macaws?
do you begrudge Asians and Europeans who eat rabbit?

Now, how are YOU better> to them you're an idiot who raises tasty food and then wastes it...
wanna complain, come back when you are a vegan, and we can talk moral high ground.

i don't ignore them.

By ignoring them you help the PETA types. Seriously you do.

You need to educate, that doesn't mean discuss forever, it means merely to educate folks that rabbits one of the MANY creatures in the world that are multi-purpose. Just as a cattle beast can be a pet, so it can be food. Just as a cat can be a pet, it can also be food. Just as a cricket can be a pet, it can also be food. Depends on the culture, depends on the person.

There are so many animals that can be used in so many different purposes, who are we to judge what someone else eats? Seriously.

That's the point to take.
That's one of our lines of defense against the PETA types.

Think on it. :)

I tell them that if God didn't want us to eat animals, He wouldn't have made them out of meat.

An Air Force buddy said that to me in the 80s. Stuck with me ever since.

TMTex":34d156wy said:
I tell them that if God didn't want us to eat animals, He wouldn't have made them out of meat.

An Air Force buddy said that to me in the 80s. Stuck with me ever since.
It actually does directly say in the Bible that, after the flood I think, humans could eat veggies and animals.

But the thing that irks me the most is how people think it is worse to raise your own meat than go to the store and buy nice picture perfect inhumanely raised meat. If they want to rant about people abusing animals for meat, then they should go to big companies that sell to grocery stores! Not people who HUMANELY raise their own meat. If they personally do not like butchering animals they have raise, fine, I don't hold it against them. But if I can come to terms with butchering, then they should be happy since I can now provide them with humanely raised meat.

The "God said" thing doesn't work on many because they don't believe in God. But those who don't listen to the directions of God will often listen to science so try this. Scientists are able to look at remains of animals long extinct and tell us whether they were a carnivore, herbivore, or omnivore. Each has certain characteristics that are readily identifiable even if all you have to look at is an old skeleton. When you have the full anatomy to look at it is even more clear. Humans are biologically OMNIVORES. Your body is designed for both meat and plant matter and you need them both to be healthy. :) Then you can hit them with the fact that each culture determines what is a pet vs what is food by their own tastes (what tastes good) and availability (what is easy to get or raise). The parrotlet group doesn't get to decide that for the rest of the planet. If they did, then the vast majority of the population of this planet would be dead and there would be nobody left to care for their cute pets who would then also die horrible slow deaths.

You ignore them, do not mention such things on those types of forums and then you give up on them and come here where we're cool with both!
=D

A parrot will smell far less, if at all. Rabbit urine is strong, they spray, cage bedding will need to be changes a ton. Initial cost of a bird can be high, but the rest is cheap if your bird stays healthy. A rabbits initial cost can be low to free, caging can be also very low, but the bedding tends to add up. A vet for both will get pricey. You can use towels in the tray/cage instead of pine shreds, it will cut costs way down, but you will need dedicated towels and wash them separately.
Both need time out of their cages to run/fly around. Bird food can be a pain, since they are designed to waste a ton of it and eat little. This is my biggest issue with our bird, I absolutely hate things that waste food! But I still like him somehow...
Birds like to sing and chat, if you spoil them or end up training a bad behavior somehow, they will screech on and on. I discovered our guy is quiet most of the time when he can be on the deck or in the dog room. He can see all the animals and the big world, so he sits and watches them, sometimes singing or warning off wild birds that land on the deck. =D If he is in the house, he has to be out of his cage...=(
A rabbit will chew up everything, you need to baby-proof the house and then keep it clean. Similar baby proofing with the bird, but in a different way, fans, fish tanks, being sat on/squished type issues.

But if noise is an issue, go with the rabbit. Even if you move, its easy to hide a rabbit if you keep up the cleaning. I would never have one in the house again [pee smell], but that's just me.

Even if you move, its easy to hide a rabbit if you keep up the cleaning. I would never have one in the house again [pee smell], but that's just me.

When you say it's easy to hide a rabbit, I would love to hear your tips. I get the cleaning upkeep. Hubby won't let a rabbit in the house because of the smell(s), and larger cage. May I ask what kind of bird you have? I'm curious, lol.

Everyone else, you are awesome. Some of the responses made me laugh, others made me feel better about my thoughts on raising rabbit meat. Feels good I can count on you guys for advice.

I find that birds are far more expensive than rabbits.

I have parrots and their food bill runs about $400/month for 7 of them. Pellets, seeds, nuts, grains, organic fruits and veggies.

Thankfully now that I live in Hawaii toys are not so expensive. I just go out and hack down a palm frond or guava branch.

LookAliveSunshine":364ry6np said:
When you say it's easy to hide a rabbit, I would love to hear your tips. I get the cleaning upkeep. Hubby won't let a rabbit in the house because of the smell(s), and larger cage. May I ask what kind of bird you have? I'm curious, lol.
For hiding rabbits (I'm assuming your rabbit will be outdoors because of your Hubby's preference) : rabbit cages can be built under porches, in a garage, in a shed, behind thick bushes,ect. It actually provides shade, which is really good. Keeping down the smell via composting, lime, straw, ect. will help when hiding. If you turn your waste bins into worm bins then the smell is really weak, and you get free worm castings! Rabbits make almost no noise, so that's not a problem. If you want an exercise pen, make it collapsible and therefore easy to store. Or, if you have a big hutch or a cage with a run, just build it behind bushes or flowers or whatever. And if you feed naturally, you don't even have to have feed bags lying around! :) That's all I can think of right now.

LookAliveSunshine":364ry6np said:
Everyone else, you are awesome. Some of the responses made me laugh, others made me feel better about my thoughts on raising rabbit meat. Feels good I can count on you guys for advice.
I love this forum because of how supportive it is. Everyone here is willing to provide advice, and willing to receive advise. And everyone is open to new ideas/different ways and reasons for raising rabbits.

RJSchaefer":3ku5sck1 said:
dayna":3ku5sck1 said:
How do I deal with them?

Easy.

I don't.
:yeahthat:

I'll argue with people on a theoretical/ethics basis, but NEVER on a case by case.

I had someone get very offended when they found out my pork producers are potbellies. "You can't eat potbellies! They're pets!" Not in Vietnam, they ain't. So unless I know someone is amicable to honestly discussing animals as food, that whole slaughter-clean-freezer-cook part never gets discussed. =)

yeah, I don't deal with people who just want to argue. I feel like I am doing good making sure my meat is raised and harvested ethically and humanely and that is enough for me.

[/quote]For hiding rabbits (I'm assuming your rabbit will be outdoors because of your Hubby's preference) : rabbit cages can be built under porches, in a garage, in a shed, behind thick bushes,ect. It actually provides shade, which is really good. Keeping down the smell via composting, lime, straw, ect. will help when hiding. If you turn your waste bins into worm bins then the smell is really weak, and you get free worm castings! Rabbits make almost no noise, so that's not a problem. If you want an exercise pen, make it collapsible and therefore easy to store. Or, if you have a big hutch or a cage with a run, just build it behind bushes or flowers or whatever. And if you feed naturally, you don't even have to have feed bags lying around! :) That's all I can think of right now.[/quote]

Should have provided I live in a travel trailer :lol: Might be able to get away with it being under the trailer. We have a chair and misc items under there. For now I'll look more into the worm bins/lime. Thanks again for the help.

Back