Dead bunny :(

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cali

Reaction score
Everyone was great this morning, went out just now to clean the rabbitry and check on the buns and found one of my grand champion California does that my grandfather bought for me, dead. :cry: I had just bred her to my Satin buck a couple of days ago, I was really excited to see what that cross would be like. I have other satins and calis, but still.

Like I said, she seemed totally fine around 10am, nobody seemed too hot or anything. I had to run into town, just got back a little while ago and now it's just past 5. She was already quite stiff. Is it possible she got too hot? It's only 85 degrees here. There are some poops in her cage that look a little "mushy," and her rear was dirty.

Rest in peace little Timid. :(

sorry for your loss.
I hope the rest of your rabbits will be alright, and that there is nothing going wrong with them.

trinityoaks":1ofozr23 said:
I'm so sorry! Had she been off her feed, or anything else noticeable?

She didn't eat her food at all this morning, and she had been sort of off of it for a couple of days (I noticed when filling the feeder it wasn't completely empty, normally they are)<br /><br />__________ Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:45 pm __________<br /><br />
CWD":1ofozr23 said:
sorry for your loss.
I hope the rest of your rabbits will be alright, and that there is nothing going wrong with them.

Thank you, I hope so too.

Oh no! So sorry! :(

If she died of heatstroke, you would find a lot of dried drool on her neck.

Oddly enough, I recently did lose a rabbit to heatstroke when it was only around 85 degrees. None of the other rabbits were showing any distress at all.

MamaSheepdog":2g27okzi said:
Oh no! So sorry! :(

If she died of heatstroke, you would find a lot of dried drool on her neck.

Oddly enough, I recently did lose a rabbit to heatstroke when it was only around 85 degrees. None of the other rabbits were showing any distress at all.

Thanks MSD, I will keep the drool thing in mind.. I didn't notice any.

God Bless your soul Timid. Sucks that you lost a rabbit your grandfather bought you, I hate loseing things that have sentimental value to them. I think she is entitiled to a one gun salute burial. :gun:

Thanks everyone.

SyP":2os6c628 said:
God Bless your soul Timid. Sucks that you lost a rabbit your grandfather bought you, I hate loseing things that have sentimental value to them. I think she is entitiled to a one gun salute burial. :gun:

Aw, thanks SyP. I do have a lot of sentimental feelings towards her and her sister who is still looking fine so far. The grandparents have never been particularly excited about my animal related ventures ("Horses are hay burners," "Dogs belong outdoors") but they were really excited and supportive when I first told them about the buns (they used to raise rabbits for meat as well, many many years ago), so the fact that he gifted me with them is even more of a big deal.

I'm hoping her sister takes with this pregnancy and gives me a nice litter. Right now I just sort of feel like a failure. I have not had the best luck so far. Best as I can understand, the grandparents just kept all of the rabbits in a cage together and they all reproduced well enough to keep them in good meat supply. :shrug:

I'm sorry you lost Timid.

I think most people raising any sort of livestock or animals will have a point where they feel like a failure or wonder if they are cut out for it. I wonder with the Beverans since I have had issue after issue it seems and just when I think I have it all good, something else comes up.

I hope her sister has a nice healthy litter without any issues for you.

Cali":27fmhkb4 said:
Right now I just sort of feel like a failure.

Aww, keep your chin up, Cali.

Keeping any animals in quantity beyond a couple of house pets brings more losses simply because of the numbers involved.

You are not a failure.

Focus on the number of healthy rabbits you still have to gain a bit of perspective.

Cali":27fmhkb4 said:
Best as I can understand, the grandparents just kept all of the rabbits in a cage together and they all reproduced well enough to keep them in good meat supply. :shrug:

If rabbit keeping was not a significant part of their lives, the details are probably a little hazy. I would take their "rosy remembrances" with a grain of salt.

I have always cherished my animals, but I must admit that when I think back, I can't always remember the name of a certain animal, let alone what eventually happened to it... and I am about to turn 44, so Alzheimers is not to blame.

Keep trying- things will get better as you gain experience.

Not only that, but losses like this are a blessing in disguise because they remove unfit animals from the genetic pool so you don't have to do it yourself.

I know it is sad- the doe I mentioned that died of heatstroke was the biggest and best from her litter, but if she was that sensitive to temperature I definitely didn't need her in my program.

I hate it when the decision to cull is taken out of my hands- but sometimes it is for the best.

(((Hugs))) for your loss, and I hope the rest of your herd remains healthy. :clover:

Sorry for your loss.

This is an example of a situation where I suspect previous medication could be a factor. Medications alter intestinal flora and fauna. Timid appeared healthy but actually may have been compromised.

I have been thinking that running rabbits on chemical free ground might be a valuable therapy or even a preventative measure. Exercise and foraging to restore or reinforce flora and fauna, build mineral reserves. Allow the bunny's immune system to adapt to the new environment. This might be a good part of quarantine before introducing new stock into a herd.

So sorry for your loss of Timid. Sometimes, these things happen and we never know why.

It doesn't make us less of an animal care giver, it makes us MORE determined to do right by our animals.

Please be gentle with yourself.

Thank you everyone for your kind words.

MSD, you're right, I don't think they kept rabbits for very long. Maybe they didn't even breed them, it's possible they just bought a bunch of youngsters and grew them out to eating size.
Right again on removing an unfit doe from the breeding program. I have to remind myself I've only had rabbits for 5 months.. I'm still trying to get everything on track.

Latest posts

Back