daydream breeders

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susie570

Reaction score
Ok, silly title but want sure what to call this thread.

I've been toying with the idea, in other threads, of having a small breeding operation. Very small, like maybe a couple of litters per year, depending on how well they sell. I thought I should just start a separate thread to talk about that.

Just as a refresher, I have a mini lop buck named Scarlett. :roll:
Here is a picture of him when we first got him 10152391949206381.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures I just took of him. Like I said, he's all grown up now.
IMAG0394.jpg
IMAG0395.jpg

He had an oops litter with our harlequin dutch and produced pretty babies, at least one of which has shown up with one lop ear at six weeks old.

Anyway, I'm considering getting a nice mini lop doe to breed with him because a) I really like mini lops, b) they are rare in this area, c) they sell out really fast at the pet shop.

I've decided that I'm definitely waiting until this litter is gone before getting anything else... definitely... :oops: However, that doesn't stop me from looking. :twisted:

I've managed to find a few people within possible reach. I just found an interesting breeder though. She raises 'plush' lops. I'm wondering if they're the same as v-lops?? They are gorgeous. I'm wondering, also, what the result would be if I crossed one of them with my buck?

The breeder did tell me she would have a black otter doe available soon. Thoughts on color? I know my buck carries non-e because he produced harlies (at least I think that's what dood said lol).

I'd like to produce frosties or tri color, but I'm open to other options.

Here's a link to the plush breeder https://facebook.com/mvfarmwv[/quot...han Holland lops, but smaller than mini lops.

Take out the "m." before facebook in the link. It loads a mobile version which is tiny and hard to understand on a computer screen.

The plush lop is another rex furred lop. They just use different size lops with different ear size. You will not get any rex furred kits from the first cross of a plush lop and mini lop. They should all look like mini lops but may not be to show standard. You need 2 rabbits with the rex gene to make more rex coated rabbits. Make sure anyone that buys from you knows they are not pure mini lops because in the future the rex gene could pop up in someone's mini lop breeding program.

akane":1p8frvw8 said:
Take out the "m." before facebook in the link. It loads a mobile version which is tiny and hard to understand on a computer screen.

Thanks, I fixed it :)

The plush lop is another rex furred lop. They just use different size lops with different ear size. You will not get any rex furred kits from the first cross of a plush lop and mini lop. They should all look like mini lops but may not be to show standard. You need 2 rabbits with the rex gene to make more rex coated rabbits. Make sure anyone that buys from you knows they are not pure mini lops because in the future the rex gene could pop up in someone's mini lop breeding program.

That's good to know! Thanks! Yeah, I'm not sure I will go that route, but it's tempting because there aren't many breeders within reasonable driving distance AND her rabbits are gorgeous.

I don't know if it would be a very strategic move for me though since I don't raise for meat. That means I have to rely on the pet and show market if I want to get even close to dependable sales. Cross breeds would cut out the show market, but the cuter and prettier the buns are, the easier pet sales would be.

I'm also wondering if I could at least get to the point where I could send rabbits off for processing if they didn't sell. It would mean a valuable meat source for my family, but I still don't know if I would have the heat to do it. My son would freak out. And I don't know how much a person would charge for the service. It might make the meat too expensive to really consider. Food for thought!

Above all else, get all new breeders and let me take scarlett off your hands.....:)

DBA":yuy4yxhj said:
Above all else, get all new breeders and let me take scarlett off your hands.....:)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:oops:

Scarlett Kissyface is a big dollbaby. We adore him. ;)

Syberchick70":1tbs7rr0 said:
I'm also wondering if I could at least get to the point where I could send rabbits off for processing if they didn't sell. It would mean a valuable meat source for my family, but I still don't know if I would have the heat to do it. My son would freak out. And I don't know how much a person would charge for the service. It might make the meat too expensive to really consider. Food for thought!

In my opinion, you really should have a plan for kits that don't sell before you breed for the first time. Regardless of how gorgeous the kits are, not every one in every litter will sell. Accept that as a fact before you start. Then what will you do?

I don't mean to be harsh, but I feel that this is how some buns end up "in the wild". People think, "Oh, these will sell", and when they don't, they get rapidly overwhelmed. I don't believe you would ever do that, but if you can't come to a plan you can stick to, no matter how harsh you think it might be, before you start, I would suggest breeding might not be for you.

OMGoodness, Scarlett is adorable! You know I am new to rabbits, and I understand where you are at with trying to decide what kind of operation you want. While I would never advocate anyone being irresponsible, there are so many deferent ways to go with this and things to consider. I also have no problem with breeding for meat but don't think I could do the deed myself either. I think finding somewhere to process unsold babies IS a plan for what to do if things get over crowded, and in my opinion its a lot more responsible than letting them go to fend for themselves just because you can't keep them and can't sell them. I personally just have the one Buck and Doe, and plan to keep my babies that don't sell and not rebreed until they are spoken for. I also plan to have 2 or 3 litters per year. We wanted to do it for the experience and enjoyment but on a small level. It won't make money but will off set a little bit of cost of feeding the babies and our pets (mom and dad). I don't really have any advice but just felt like dropping a note to encourage you:)

Marinea":1ux6ab4i said:
I don't mean to be harsh, but I feel that this is how some buns end up "in the wild". People think, "Oh, these will sell", and when they don't, they get rapidly overwhelmed. I don't believe you would ever do that, but if you can't come to a plan you can stick to, no matter how harsh you think it might be, before you start, I would suggest breeding might not be for you.

I don't think it's harsh, I think you're absolutely correct and that's my biggest hesitation in this project for me. I would never just release a rabbit into the wild or send it to 'the pound' or anything else that irresponsible. I have a deep feeling of commitment toward any animal I take ownership of. It's a huge commitment for me, which is why I'm always careful about such things.

If I could get to the point where I would feel able to send rabbits off for processing if I couldn't sell them (I don't think I can get to the point where I could do it myself) and it would be a reasonable cost, that would be a workable plan.

As you say, not every rabbit will sell. I've not made the commitment to go down this path yet, but I'm definitely exploring it. This group is a great resource (and reality check!!). ;) <br /><br /> -- Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:42 am -- <br /><br />
macksmom98":1ux6ab4i said:
OMGoodness, Scarlett is adorable!

macksmom98":1ux6ab4i said:
You know I am new to rabbits, and I understand where you are at with trying to decide what kind of operation you want. While I would never advocate anyone being irresponsible, there are so many deferent ways to go with this and things to consider. I also have no problem with breeding for meat but don't think I could do the deed myself either. I think finding somewhere to process unsold babies IS a plan for what to do if things get over crowded, and in my opinion its a lot more responsible than letting them go to fend for themselves just because you can't keep them and can't sell them. I personally just have the one Buck and Doe, and plan to keep my babies that don't sell and not rebreed until they are spoken for. I also plan to have 2 or 3 litters per year. We wanted to do it for the experience and enjoyment but on a small level. It won't make money but will off set a little bit of cost of feeding the babies and our pets (mom and dad). I don't really have any advice but just felt like dropping a note to encourage you:)

Thank you :) That's basically the place I'm at right now. I haven't completely decided to jump into it, and as I've said, I'm certainly not going to make any move in that direction until we get this litter rehomed, or otherwise 'responsibly' taken care of.

I'm actually surprised at how much, even this mixed breeds are selling for in this area. I'm getting $30/each and people are not flinching at the price. It MIGHT have to do with them being pretty babies, or just the time of year (close to Easter), or the fact that they're so tame, but I'm truly surprised. I guess we'll see how it pans out though. They're not all spoken for yet. I'm crossing my fingers. I appreciate the encouragement and the same back to you! :)

If your not willing to dispatch a rabbit you really need to find someone who will as rabbit processors are few and far between and I don't know of any that would take individual rabbits or those under 5 pounds :shrug:

Perhaps you could find someone in your area that raises meat rabbits on a small scale and would not mind processing a few extra for a small price. If I was closer to you I would do it. Just a thought, how much would everyone consider a reasonable price for processing a couple of rabbits?

Those are great points and I'm sure there are local folks who raise meat rabbits and wouldn't mind processing a few. I really have no idea how much it might cost, or what a reasonable price to pay would be.

I also updated my OP with two pictures of Scarlett today. He's turned into a beefy boy. :lol:

Scarlett is very handsome!

A possibility for the meat is to find someone willing to process for some of the meat. Win/win there.

Marinea":2r735ju1 said:
Scarlett is very handsome!

A possibility for the meat is to find someone willing to process for some of the meat. Win/win there.

That's a great idea if I can find someone who is willing.

I know there are plenty of people who raise meat rabbits around here, mostly NZ from what I've seen. <br /><br /> -- Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:45 am -- <br /><br />
Dood":2r735ju1 said:
If your not willing to dispatch a rabbit you really need to find someone who will as rabbit processors are few and far between and I don't know of any that would take individual rabbits or those under 5 pounds :shrug:

I don't think these rabbits would be under 5lbs when fully grown, probably closer to 6lbs I would guess? Maybe more...

If you want to embark on a small scale breeding program, I would suggest getting show quality rabbits, and attending some of the local shows. Lops sell like hotcakes at the shows I attend, even the "pet quality" ones from the litter. Your show quality buns can sell for a lot more than the "pets", but at shows it seems the minimum for even a pet quality lop is around $50. Double that (or more) for show quality.

RR MiniSatins":15907rbu said:
Just a thought, how much would everyone consider a reasonable price for processing a couple of rabbits?

There is someone near me that does it for $5 each. I think that is a fair number.

Marinea":15907rbu said:

This is what I will be doing with my ducks and meat chickens. I am figuring either one or two birds in trade for ever six processed for me.

I've been toying with the idea, in other threads, of having a small breeding operation. Very small, like maybe a couple of litters per year, depending on how well they sell. I thought I should just start a separate thread to talk about that.

A small breeding operation... yeah, me too... turned into 2 breeds, and thinking of a 3rd for me, lol
Sounds like you are INFECTED with Rabbitosis for sure now.... gonna have pens and cages everywhere too!

jeannie":vut4a2ar said:
Sounds like you are INFECTED with Rabbitosis for sure now

Well, she clearly already has RabbitTalkitis, and this constant exposure to other victims rabbit enthusiasts will surely cause full blown Rabbitosis before too long.

MamaSheepdog":3ujq21qk said:
If you want to embark on a small scale breeding program, I would suggest getting show quality rabbits, and attending some of the local shows. Lops sell like hotcakes at the shows I attend, even the "pet quality" ones from the litter. Your show quality buns can sell for a lot more than the "pets", but at shows it seems the minimum for even a pet quality lop is around $50. Double that (or more) for show quality.

That's exciting :) I'm not sure my buck would be considered 'show quality' and I guess that since he's isn't pedigreed, his offspring wouldn't be showable? Or would they? Even so, as you said the pet quality lops do tend to sell well from what I've seen (get's a glazed look in her eye) ;)

RR MiniSatins":3ujq21qk said:
Just a thought, how much would everyone consider a reasonable price for processing a couple of rabbits?

There is someone near me that does it for $5 each. I think that is a fair number.

That does sound like a very fair price. While I don't think I could bring myself to process any of the buns with my own two hands, I feel that it might be much easier to process a group of nearly grown rabbits that are taking up my cage space, plowing through my feed, etc. particularly if I bring them to someone else to do it for me. It also helps me, emotionally, that I know it would be far kinder to turn them into food for my family than to continue trying to sell rabbits unlikely to find decent homes. Also, it would allow me to realistically do this. So... it's the direction I'm leaning toward. :)

Marinea":3ujq21qk said:

This is what I will be doing with my ducks and meat chickens. I am figuring either one or two birds in trade for ever six processed for me.

I'll keep that in mind, let me know how it works for you. As much as I love the bunnies, it's hard to compete with the idea of putting fresh, healthy meat on our table in exchange for the fun of getting to raise some rabbits. Even my partner is behind the idea, so I wouldn't feel like he might get upset with me for wanting to have 'more rabbits'. lol

I'm pretty sure she's infected. :lol:
Smaller breeds usually reach sexual maturity sooner than larger breeds.
Consequently, your rabbits will need separated long before they are full grown, so don't necessarily count on their adult size as their processing weight.
Their weight at 12-16 weeks is more likely what someone would be getting.

There are breeders who send their extra rabbits off to livestock auctions. I do not recommend it due to disease and stress...and I have recently been told that it isn't uncommon for auction workers to pick rabbits up BY THEIR EARS. :evil:

Perhaps a more reliable option would be finding someone with carnivorous pets to feed (large snakes or even dogs) who you would trust to handle them with care and humanely dispatch before feeding.

Once you have a sure route worked out...You should try out those plush lops..They are pretty rare in the US you know. :twisted:

As much as I love the bunnies, it's hard to compete with the idea of putting fresh, healthy meat on our table in exchange for the fun of getting to raise some rabbits. Even my partner is behind the idea, so I wouldn't feel like he might get upset with me for wanting to have 'more rabbits'. lol
Well never mind.... It looks like your well on your way to working out a "final solution" to unsellable rabbits. ;)

jeannie":2plk6r0u said:

A small breeding operation... yeah, me too... turned into 2 breeds, and thinking of a 3rd for me, lol
Sounds like you are INFECTED with Rabbitosis for sure now.... gonna have pens and cages everywhere too!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Just a few... I mean, I already have what... 2 condos that I'm building (well, I've already finished one), two 'grow out' pens (30x36), two smaller 'isolation' cages (30x18) and an emergency dog crate... and a cat carrier for travelling, and a room with two large bales of hay (one orchard grass, one timothy), a few large bags of bedding and pellets... various other supplies (a friend brought me a box full of second-hand water bottles and feeders)... ummm what else... :p <br /><br /> -- Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:14 pm -- <br /><br />
Zass":2plk6r0u said:
Once you have a sure route worked out...You should try out those plush lops..They are pretty rare in the US you know. :twisted:

Ohhhh I reaaaally didn't need to hear that!!!! :evil: :x :lol:

And they're soooo pretty....

She said she wants $60 for the 'proven' 1yr old Black Otter doe she will have up for sale soon. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

(Telling myself that I REALLY have to WAIT until this litter is gone first... REALLY)

Dood":1zdmayhf said:

I don't think these rabbits would be under 5lbs when fully grown, probably closer to 6lbs I would guess? Maybe more...
I didn't know your be willing to keep them for 6+ months to get to full size :)

If your processing adults then you may want to taste a roaster first as, IMHO, the flavour is significantly different that that of younger rabbits (fryers) - I can eat the older does as I brine them in salt water and much of the flavour is washed out but I cannot stomach males over 3 months old and most bucks go to animal food in my rabbitry.

Back