Day 34, 1 dead kit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessie15273

Reaction score
Today is day 34 for my little red doe and early this morning she delivered one kit. When i found him he was dead, he may have been a little stretched out, but he had as much hair as my 5 day old kits! Maybe even more. She still has more in her, that I can tell, and I think i may have felt one move so they may be alive still.

After delivering the first one dead, how do chances look for the rest of the litter. Anything I can give her? The last 5 times she has had babies she had them day 31 in the middle of the day. I have been really worried after day 32!

Hmm, I had one little doe deliver 3 dead babies in the morning, and about 24 hours later deliver one more that was alive and well.

So maybe there is still hope for your doe!

Good luck!

You can give her some calcium (a little calcium drench for goats in her water, or a Tums tablet), and a bit of parsley. Both of those should help.

Hope she has the rest of them and they are alive and healthy. Thinking good thoughts for her.

Today is day 35. I feel them in there, but they arent coming out! I was hoping she would have them during the night, but I guess not. She does not appear to be stressed and is acting completely normal. It is a shame, she is my best looking doe!

Try putting her with the buck, it can help stimulate labour.

I have doe who usually births on day 33 and if she is late I put her with the buck and she usually has them within 24 hours. She is also my best producing doe and has only had two stillborns in her first litter and none since.

You may want to try some herbs to stimulate labor.

http://www.sisterzeus.com/Emmeno.htm

Some of the herbs in the above link also cause a decrease in lactation, so you should cross reference them against this list:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/44556 ... east-milk/

Oddly, I have seen elsewhere that Parsley is good for stimulating milk production, but that may be only soon after giving birth, since it causes the uterus to contract, which in turn stimulates lactation. :?

You may want to offer her some herbs that promote lactation after she gives birth to counteract the effects of the others used to induce labor:

http://www.holistic-herbalist.com/galac ... herbs.html

Nipple stimulation is also effective on bringing on transition in labor. Gently squeeze an rub her nipples. She probably wont like it, so be prepared!

You can also pull fur from her sides and belly, and that may bring her labor on.

Good luck! :clover:

She made a beautiful nest sunday, I dont have another doe that goes as all out as she does!

I put her in with the buck, I was debating doing it yesterday actually. half hour later she had the kit, dead on the wire. I only felt one in her before putting her in with the buck, and thats all that came out. its a shame because she is a great mom too! She has beautiful babies too!

I dont want to sound bad, but when should/can I rebreed her? Shes a beautiful doe and shes already 2

You can rebreed her anytime.

In a colony setting, the bucks will breed them immediately. Some particularly rude fellows will try as the doe is kindling, so must be separated.

Many people have found that the doe's will have larger litters when bred back immediately.

MamaSheepdog":16j6dzia said:
You can rebreed her anytime.

In a colony setting, the bucks will breed them immediately. Some particularly rude fellows will try as the doe is kindling, so must be separated.

Many people have found that the doe's will have larger litters when bred back immediately.

I usually do 2 back to back for a bigger second litter, I wasnt sure if I should since she had problems this time. I guess i will tonight or tommorrow

Latest posts

Back