Day 28 how close do I watch pregnant doe?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiny Buns

Reaction score
So we had one litter already and I was an impatient wreck. Lol.

I have one doe due on the 22nd. 3 more due in the next 2-3 weeks so I need to get better at this.

How much do I watch her? How often do I check? Don't want to stress her out and don't want to miss anything important.

Our first litter the experienced doe had 4 kits laid in a tidy zigzag on the floor. No blood. No mess. Not in the nest box either but all fine. Not much for me to do but pick them up and tuck them away in the nest.

Wow!! It looks like you will have your hands full shortly!!

I have had 6 litters so far, and haven't got the chance to witness any of the births. I also think, I could be wrong, that they don't necessarily like anybody watching them giving birth, at least mine anyway. It's the same way with them feeding the kits too, for me.

For mine, once they started pulling fur, they were ready to kindle. This morning, I took a couple of pics of her pulling fur, came in the house and got tied up in here, and by the time I got back down to see how she was doing, she had 8 kits.

I would just check on them/ her as you usually do to keep the routine going for your doe. Although, I just started raising them a few months ago, I've never done anything out of the ordinary when they were about to kindle.

I hope this helps and somebody with more experience can help you!!

Oh. Glad you got the kits in the box!!

Wireless cam.. Really nice to not have to disturb your doe, and possibly set her back a little.
Its really fun to watch them when they have no idea they are being watched. They do all kinds of
odd things when im not around.

I guess I thought you need to be there promptly in case any are kindled out of the nest box and get cold etc. so you don't lose any.

It's summer so chilling is less of an issue, though it can still happen. A wireless cam would definitely help your nervousness about doing everything perfectly. After a few more litters you will get more relaxed. I always just checked the rabbits an extra time or two in a day. It just isn't feasible to check to often and it could upset the doe. Some don't mind--others like their privacy.

Your most common problems will be kits on the floor or the doe not pulling enough hair to keep them warm. It's good to have alternate nesting materials on hand; many people use dryer lint, teased cotton balls or cotton batting or even feathers from a pillow. You can save extra fur from the does that pull more than is needed too. You should read up on methods of warming chilled kits -- there are a number to choose from -- so if there is a situation where time is critical you won't have to think it through then. These measures should reduce your anxiety a lot.

We've had a few litters-- a couple does have been fine on their own.
One has had kits on the wire twice and being close by has meant a saved life twice-- and she let me watch. So now I like to be handy just in case.

That's what I mean. It's a fine line between making her uncomfortable with my presence and being there in case she or the kits are in distress.

Camera is a great idea....curreny not in the budget but good to put on the list. <br /><br /> -- Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:44 pm -- <br /><br /> Good grief the suspense is killing me. Day 31 and she's FINALLY stopped sitting in the next box and is building a hay nest--outside the box. That's something at least. No fur pulling but excessive grooming, lick lick lick lick.

If you have your own modem in the house for your computer, a cam is only about eighty dollars. That's what I paid for mine. You need to plug it into your modem to sinc it up, and down load the information on the cameras website but its not to hard if you have someone in the family that is techy. There are cameras out there as low as 40 bucks, but I don't know about them as my husband bought this one. I would think any BEST BUY helper could get you fixed up with the right system.
There are baby cams that may work too, but they may cost more. I don't know.

Well that was anticlimactic. She was most definitely pregnant at 14 days when I got her from the breeder but somehow we've ended up with a false alarm.

Oh well.....in a couple of weeks I have 2 more that I can obsess over ;)

Several times I was watching when they were giving birth. However I could not actually see the kits coming out because they don't spread their legs like human. Usually if they are busy pulling fur from their back they'll be giving birth in minutes. They don't care if I watch. I've even touched newborn and a tame doe remains calm. Jittery doe will try to bite you if you even put your hand in the cage.

Zinnia":1wngu2xk said:
I've had numerous litters born on day 33, so.... :)

I dunno, I don't think I'll hold my breath. I palpatated her and felt nothing. Surely you'd feel some little tiny creature in there?

She's just a wee thing. A 1 1/2 lb Netherland so there isn't too much room to hide.

On the advice of the breeder I got her from, I threw her in with the buck and she lifted right away. They had a lovely time....again and again...lol

So, I'm not thinking there's going to be kits any time this week anyway..... or would there be?

Latest posts

Back