Curiosity

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AShelBunny

Reaction score
I bought a new tamuk buck (originally wanted a doe but the color was so beautiful I just got the buck) I wonder what this with my black broken New Zealand would produce?

I'm not breeding for colors and that's not my goal but I wonder.

Attachments

• IMG_2024-01-28-07-39-01-884.jpg
    IMG_2024-01-28-07-39-01-884.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2023-12-04-07-59-45-542.jpg
    IMG_2023-12-04-07-59-45-542.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
I bought a new tamuk buck (originally wanted a doe but the color was so beautiful I just got the buck) I wonder what this with my black broken New Zealand would produce?

I'm not breeding for colors and that's not my goal but I wonder.
Broken x harlequin = tricolor. About half of the bunnies should be broken/tri.
You may also get some agoutis, harlequins and/or self colored bunnies.
Because the doe is black (a self color, while harlequins are agouti), if the buck carries self behind his agouti, you might get torted harlies and torted tris (which just means their color will be a bit smutty on some areas).

Last edited:
Broken x harlequin = tricolor. About half of the bunnies should be broken/tri.
You may also get some agoutis, harlequins and/or self colored bunnies.
Because the doe is black (a self color, while harlequins are agouti), if the buck carries self behind his agouti, you might get torted harlies and torted tris (which just means their color will be a bit smutty on some areas).
His siblings were white and gray striped the mom and dad were both beautiful harlequin like him

His siblings were white and gray striped the mom and dad were both beautiful harlequin like him
The white and gray striped is a harlequin of a different color. :) It's called magpie, caused by harlequin ej combining with a chinchilla c(chd). That c(chd) blocks production of the pigment that produces the orange color, leaving white where the orange would have been.

That means that both parents carried the chinchilla c(chd) allele, and that means there's a 50% chance that your buck carries a hidden copy of chinchilla c(chd) as well.

And that means that some of your agouti babies may be chinchillas, as well as chestnuts.

Back