cuniculi head tilt- cant get panacur

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dharma108

Reaction score
We cant get panacur here in USA for cuniculi. I have a local strore that sells safeguard for horses in 25 gram paste and its 10 percent... i need 20 percent and i could double it maybe? I read a pea size drop? what can i do..desperate for my pet rabbit that i KNOW has it.... help! caninne or feline panacur is avail.... thoughts? We dont even have a goat liquid panacur so im desperate to get her help.

Imho yes, you can use different concentration if the absolute dose is correct.

I think I got the one for dogs last year when one of my does, 6yo, had EC. This was the second line of treatment though, first was an antibiotic and fluids injected every day for a week, that showed results pretty quickly (sorry, can't remember which antibiotic). The panacur was just the cherry on the cake to make sure it gets as good as possible, my vet is not a fan of it but I insisted.

Anyway, the reason for the outbreak most likely were ovary cysts or a tumor, which made her hormones go haywire and made her dig and work like a maniac, which exhausted her - that's when EC got it's chance. She didn't take the last two times I triued to breed her, so something was definitly off. EC didn't come back, she lived for another 7-8 months, and she was not in the condition to consider surgery.

I think I got the one for dogs last year when one of my does, 6yo, had EC. This was the second line of treatment though, first was an antibiotic and fluids injected every day for a week, that showed results pretty quickly (sorry, can't remember which antibiotic). The panacur was just the cherry on the cake to make sure it gets as good as possible, my vet is not a fan of it but I insisted.

Anyway, the reason for the outbreak most likely were ovary cysts or a tumor, which made her hormones go haywire and made her dig and work like a maniac, which exhausted her - that's when EC got it's chance. She didn't take the last two times I triued to breed her, so something was definitly off. EC didn't come back, she lived for another 7-8 months, and she was not in the condition to consider surgery.
Thanks for the reply... sorry t ohear you lost your bun.... I have a rescue bunny that came from same place that also had EC...i gave panacur and it worked immediatly.. his was head tilt... this other rabbit from same place..... is affected in her hindquarters...she also had stress pain from hock sores... i am giving her celery with some relief.... slowing down a bit... i was able to order some fenbendalzole but its coming from ukraine to usa... and taking its time. Interesting on the antibiotics and fluids.....i will look more into this.. thanks again!

Panacur is Fenbendazole, so you might be able to find it under a different name.
Thanks i was able to order some fenben..but its coming from ukraine to usa.... and taking its time.... i notice the celery i gave her helping a bit... its antiparasite / anti viral / antibacterial..... still def. need fenben.....

curious on what dose you gave or how you figured out the dog panacur...?

I think it was 20mg/kg, if you are not sure what dose you need post the concentration (mg/ml) of the product available to you and the weight of your rabbit here.
Thank you! she is six pounds and the product is

Fenbendazole 10% Liquid Dewormer 100ml (3.38 oz)​

Fenbendazole 10% Liquid

Fenbendazole, has a wide spectrum of anthelmintic action, is active against nematodes, trematodes and cestodes parasitizing in animals. Fenbendazole is rapidly absorbed in the gastrointestinal tract. The mechanism of action of fenbendazole is a metabolic disorder, inhibition of fumarate reductase activity and the synthesis of ATP parasite, which leads to the death of helminths. According to the degree of toxic effects on the body, it belongs to low-hazard substances, in the recommended doses it does not have a mutagenic, carcinogenic and locally irritating effect. It is excreted mainly with feces.
Application: Dehelmintization of animals during dictiocauliasis, hematosis, ostertagia, trichostrongiasis, nematodirosis, cooperiosis, esophagostomiasis, moniesiosis and fascioliasis. https://homelabvet.com/product/fenbendazole-liquid-100ml/

I know this is a few months old, but I have a pregnant doe due next week that's digging in her hutch like a maniac. Do you think this is a hormonal thing going on.? She is the one that had one kit with head tilt and one sticky eye. Kit was treated with wet drops and Fenbendazole and looking great at about 8 weeks now. I will inspect the liver and kidneys upon processing and momma doe is acting fine other than her digging frenzy. Any thoughts?

I know this is a few months old, but I have a pregnant doe due next week that's digging in her hutch like a maniac. Do you think this is a hormonal thing going on.? She is the one that had one kit with head tilt and one sticky eye. Kit was treated with wet drops and Fenbendazole and looking great at about 8 weeks now. I will inspect the liver and kidneys upon processing and momma doe is acting fine other than her digging frenzy. Any thoughts?
That sounds pretty normal. Mine often dig in the corners of their wire cages trying to make a "nest." Some does just like to start nesting earlier than others; some of my Polish have a perfect tunnel of a nest ready a week before they're due, while some of my Satins wait till hours before kindling. I'd go ahead and give her a nest box and plenty of nesting material to let her satisfy her nesting urge without hurting herself! :ROFLMAO:

Glad to hear the kit with wry neck is doing well!

My Ruth, 5yo, that is due any moment dug about 1m of tunnel in the garden, and started several others during the last weeks that I had to fill up because of bad location. Normal behaviour, they build nest tunnels when pregnant. Depending on how their instincts are still there they can dig several, closing up the entrances and dig one up again for the nest when it's time.

Now Ruth has to stay in the hutch with the nestbox, and for several days after kindling can only go in the part of the garden where the tunnel is not, just to make sure she doesn't get confused.

Latest posts

Back