Comments on my plan?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UK-backyardbunnies

Reaction score
Hello :)
I've recently acquired two silver fox sisters, a little earlier than planned as they were free! I'm planning small scale meat rabbit breeding, to feed me and a dog, and to keep pelts as well. I like the idea of colonies and natural feeding, but right now that's not really possible so I'm aiming for a halfway house.
However as my first breeding bunnies I'd appreciate some input!

They will be in a brick built outbuilding, an open/meshed-over window, tiled floor. Within this I'm planning one pen for the does, one for the buck, and one for growing out the kits. I want to keep the buck apart so I'm in control of breeding, but I plan to breed the does at the same time as I gather they can/should help each other with the kits?

I've got some rabbit grower pellets, will a reduced amount of these be okay for the adults too? Then there'll be hay, kitchen and garden scraps (cabbage leaves etc), foraged herbs/greens/twigs etc, carrots...
I see alfalfa being criticised for getting pet rabbits too fat - any reason not to give this to the fattening kits?

Thanks for reading

Don't count on the does being happy together. They may, but then again, they may not. They may be perfectly fine until they're bred and then have problems. I certainly wouldn't count on them helping each other with the kits.

As for feeding, stay away from things like lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, etc. They tend to be gas-producing, and rabbits don't have a way to get rid of that gas.

I'm not sure why you're being told that alfalfa is too fattening. Alfalfa is actually very good for rabbits. It's a very good source of needed protein and roughage in their diet. My rabbits get free-choice alfalfa cubes (haven't been able to find alfalfa hay here for a while), and I haven't had any issues with excess fat on them.

Just a friendly word of caution: a lot of the "advice" you will find for pet rabbits is completely wrong, and is based on an utter lack of understanding on how rabbits grow and thrive. I don't know whether the "House Rabbit Society" has made itself known in the U.K., but they are notorious for passing out incorrect and misguided information.

Fair points. If needs be I'll separate the does and have a more conventional/intensive set-up.

That's the trouble I'm finding, lots of conflicting advice! I'm either finding intensive meat raising advice (wire cages, pellets) or fluffy pet advice (a centrally heated shed and run bigger than my own house). I'm sure we'll muddle through and refine what works/doesn't.

Thanks!

Also - what about leguminous plants? I grow beans/peas etc and it's a shame just to compost the stalks!

I think you will find that the conflicting advice often comes from our personal experiences with rabbits. I have my meat rabbits in an 8 foot square section of a shed. They are just one big happy family... and rather inbred. The current does are mother and daughter and they get along just fine.

I do think that sisters raised together will have a better chance of living peacefully together than unrelated rabbits. Just in case, however, you should plan your doe pen so that it can be easily divided, with access to each area.

Regarding feeding, a lot depends on what the rabbits are accustomed to eating. If they have had only pellets, you will want to make changes to their diet slowly, especially where greens are concerned. You will want to check out the Natural Feeding forum for details. You can certainly feed the leaves and stems of pea and bean plants, provided that they are not mouldy or mildewed, but do not feed the actual beans.

I may be wrong but from what I've gathered doing research, it's suggested that if you feed a high protein pellet, the alfalfa may be too much protein and a grass hay is recommended. We plan on feeding a grain/greens diet, so we'll be using alfalfa for ours.

UK-backyardbunnies":okfklzcp said:
I plan to breed the does at the same time as I gather they can/should help each other with the kits?

It is not so much that they will "help" each other, though sometimes does will share a nest, but rather that if one doe is unable to care for some or all of her kits you can foster them to another doe. If you want to keep track of whose kits are whose you may wish to stagger their breedings or put them in separate pens.

I have found with rabbits, nothing is set in stone. There are many ways to raise them, meat, show or pet. Many different ways to feed and house them. You just need to find the way you want to do it.

Only advise I will give is to get to know your rabbits' personalities. Some rabbits will live in harmony, but some can be very territorial. You won't know until they reach maturity whether sisters will live in harmony, either in a colony setting or a large crate or cage. Also sisters may change after having a litter. Just observe and get to know them. Be ready to separate if aggression shows.

Regarding feeding, always introduce anything new slowly. Rabbits digestive systems are sensitive to any changes and can have devastating results.

When researching rabbits, read lots of information. Lots of different views out there. Once you really experience rabbits, you will be able to figure out how to keep them safe, healthy and happy in your own way.

Wishing you all the luck with your Rabbit Venture. Rabbits are LOTS of fun to have around.

Karen

Alfalfa hay is really good for the rabbits, but if their pellets have alfalfa in them then my understanding is that you'll want to give them a grass hay instead.
I made the mistake of doing that at first, but my rabbits weren't eating their nite poops (ceacal?) b/c they were too rich, w/ so much alfalfa.
With grains/greens diet, then alfalfa is the hay of choice for the protein levels.

Thanks for all your advice :)
I've now got them on "dried grass" rather than "hay" (it was available and delivered for a good price) - smells lush! And breeder/grower pellets, with extra veg/greens/weeds on the side.
Pics in my other thread english-newbie-silver-foxes-t10905.html

Yes, I'll keep an eye on them. I'm guessing if there's to be any trouble it will be as they approach maturity/breeding time - I have built their pen so I can divide it easily just in case. If this were to happen, would I then need to keep their litters apart after weaning or could they "fatten up" together?

UK-backyardbunnies":25xlf0uh said:
would I then need to keep their litters apart after weaning or could they "fatten up" together?

I would suggest two growout cages so you can separate litters by sex. I always mix litters from different does and have had no problems.

After several different layouts, got the main/does pen and the buck pen sorted

[album]1332[/album]

[album]1333[/album]

Each panel is 2 foot by 3 foot to give an idea of size. Pics were taken just before adding in lots more hay!

Some does will live together and share mothering duties, but some don't. I had a colony that was 15 x 10 feet and one doe pulled another's kits out of the nests and scattert them, she was quickly removed but I lost half the litter.

I currently keep all of my kits, from several different litters and of different ages, in a colony setting with no problems. Llike puppies, baby rabbits seem to get along well, but once their hormones kick in you may see bullying.

The grower pellets and alfalfa should be fine for breeding rabbits and ones with lots of room to run in. I would not feed too much to the buck as he won't be growing kits or producing milk. I free feed grass hay as roughage is important for a rabbits intestinal health and I portion out pellets to avoid fat rabbits that are less fertile. My 8 to 12 pound American Chinchillas get 6 to 8 ounces of pellets in the morning and a second feeding as needed.

You rabbits are lovely by the way, they look a bit different than Silver Fox over here. Their white trim reminds me of our Black Silver Martens.

I have one colony set up right now with four rex rabbits and one thing I have found to keep them nice and fit is to put their feeder up a couple of steps so they have to climb up and jump down. Every time they want to eat they have to work for it :lol:

Your rabbits are beautiful! So shiny!

Aww thank you!
Bit of a balls-up actually, I was reading here about silver foxes being really good meat breeds, then see on my local ads "free silver fox females!" so jumped in. Turns out our "silver foxes" are your "silver martins" :D Doh!

Never mind, they are lovely, friendly, pretty chunky, and I'm just waiting for some details on a possible rex buck for them...

They have an old fridge in there to jump on - it's my "safe storage" for weedkiller, but now the rabbit pen is up it has nowhere to live. Don't worry, they can't get into it - good and solid with a heavy sealed lid! All the same, I might try and move the chemicals and have that as my safe storage for pellets...

Rabbit urine can be pretty corrosive, I would worry about the bottom edges and feet rusting out prematurely. Wire rabbit cages are galvanized and have a zinc coating to avoid rusting, but the do eventually succumb.

UK-backyardbunnies":2upd0yt6 said:
Never mind, they are lovely, friendly, pretty chunky, and..............

Made of meat ;) :lol:

Sorry, couldnt resist ;) but having eaten several dwarf rabbits over the last few years, size isnt the main thing when it comes to your meat rabbits, you ENJOYING your breed is!

GBov":gbcu5mdw said:
UK-backyardbunnies":gbcu5mdw said:
Never mind, they are lovely, friendly, pretty chunky, and..............

Made of meat ;) :lol:

Sorry, couldnt resist ;) but having eaten several dwarf rabbits over the last few years, size isnt the main thing when it comes to your meat rabbits, you ENJOYING your breed is!
:goodpost:

I'll be watching this thread and read all posts later When I'm not reading on ny phone. It looks like my Setup.:)

I've been "playing" today. Dismantled a cheap chest of drawers, turned it into a double ended nest box with hinged lid. Took the fronts off two drawers and wired the remains to the outside of the pen to make hay racks :cool:

Is there any way to upload short video clips directly here, or does it have to be via youtube or something?

Slightly concerned that the bunnies don't seem to be eating much hay? But they're bright enough.<br /><br />__________ Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:04 pm __________<br /><br />Oh dear, had a minor "whoops" today - we've got snow, and yesterday I checked the water bottle and it squeezed i.e. not frozen solid - all fine. Checked this morning by prodding the spout - and the spout itself was full of ice despite the water above being liquid :O I thought they were a bit keen on the juicy carrot I'd put in for them... Lesson learned, no harm done.

Can't pick up the rex buck yet either with the snow and ice :(

Latest posts

Back