Colour Identification

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyrocket

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Recently received this buck from a person in my area who's getting out of meat breeding while I intend to get into it. I was told he was a Flemish Giant but I can't place a colour for him. He's like a light grey but has tan hairs also and a white patch on the back of his neck. My friend tells me he's probably mixed and if he is it's not a big deal I just want to know what he could be and if he is pure flem how this colour occurred all her other Flemish are sandy types and she'd purchased him for breeding.

His name is Jack (as in Captain Jack) and I can add more photos if necessary

33blao3.jpg

28711u9.jpg

minrxk.jpg

wgtf9d.jpg

__________ Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:29 am __________

Also, this is Pogo, I think he's an English Spot mix but I'm not sure..

5198jt.jpg

Jack's color is called chinchilla. The white spot on the back of his neck is a trait of the agouti color pattern category, which chinchilla is a part of. It simply just lacks the banding that all of the rest of his body except the belly, inside of the ears, and around the eyes has. The tan hairs are from sun bleaching, and should molt out when his new coat shows up. I can't say he's not pure Flemmish, but mine had much larger ears, so I'd lean that way.

Never been around English spot, so I'm not any help there!

His colour is called chinchilla (light grey in Flemish Giants) and he is just a very a "sooty" looking one with lots of yellowing.

English Spot are quite rare but rabbits with the same broken patterning are quite common and Pogo's head is a very unique shape that reminds me more of Holland lop crosses.

Thanks Sun-bleach makes sense actually as he was kept outside year round with the rest of her rabbits and chickens and was allowed free roam of the back yard to do as he pleased.

Pogo I got off an Ohio breeder who I really don't think keeps track of anything she breeds, if I'm entirely honest. He's definitely an interesting little guy, not very big either. If you look closely he's not black either, he's a dark chocolate imho.

Dood":pemb8j91 said:
Only some, for show brown is prefered

I like brown eyes on him, to be fair I think with grey eyes it would be too much grey and he wouldn't be as unique looking lol

Pogo is curious, I wish the person (his breeder) I got him from wasn't as rude as she is to me and would be honest about what he is. She used to be friendly with me until I told her I was looking to breed meaters. She still sells to me but is very reluctant about it and gets really snippy with me. We used to talk at the animal expos (mostly reptile expos), where she sells them as snake food and often lets these guys go as pets, we would talk for hours but now she seems to want nothing to do with me and I'm pretty sure I'm just cutting ties with her and finding someone a little more friendly.

One more of Pogo (could he be NZ mix?) :
10xvc78.jpg

He could be anything but that "roman nose" of his is very typical of holland and English lop crosses.

Since English are 10 plus pounds I figure he is a Holland cross.

Dood":2oq0jdv3 said:
He could be anything but that "roman nose" of his is very typical of holland and English lop crosses.

Since English are 10 plus pounds I figure he is a Holland cross.

Okay, I eventually just decided to list him as a Mutt / Unknown in my records. He was bred to my Californian so I'd like to see the kits that come out of that pairing, hopefully get some interesting colours or patterns.

Are lop type ears recessive? <br /><br /> __________ Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:52 am __________ <br /><br /> A friend and I determined that Pogo looks very similar to a French Lop x Checkered Giant cross.

Lop ears are complicated. Sometimes with two lops, ears don't lop. With crossed, sometimes they lop and sometimes they don't.

I have chins with brown, blue gray and gray eyes. They are quite striking. My breeder tried breeding only for brown eyes but lost the chin mid band, but it really doesn't matter much to me.

He's definitely an interesting little guy, not very big either.
I assumed form this statement he was under 8 pounds, both French Lops and Checked Giants are over 10 :D

Try and not use colours as breed identification, most people don't confuse Rottweilers, Dobermans, Coon Hounds, Dachshunds and Minature Pinchers even though they all come in Black and Tan.

Most colours can be found, or created, in any breed of rabbit.

Dood":wdt8zajb said:
He's definitely an interesting little guy, not very big either.
I assumed form this statement he was under 8 pounds, both French Lops and Checked Giants are over 10 :D

Try and not use colours as breed identification, most people don't confuse Rottweilers, Dobermans, Coon Hounds, Dachshunds and Minature Pinchers even though they all come in Black and Tan.

Most colours can be found, or created, in any breed of rabbit.

He's not fully grown though that's for sure, still young. We didn't use colour for identification we used body structure and compared him to another french lop x checkered giant, that's not to say there wasn't another smaller breed added to his lines to give him a smaller appearance. Colour was just a side point. I know not to use colour to identify. my dober girl as a puppy (and growing up) has been called all of the following : Min Pin, Manchester Terrier, German Pinscher, Rottweiler, She was mistaken for a Beauceron online once, and even once was called a Pit Bull at the market. Because of her half german half american lineage her build has also gotten people to argue with me and tell me she's not purebred. <br /><br /> __________ Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:52 pm __________ <br /><br /> So now I have a new question. My friend had an oops meat litter. The rabbit is
half nz white, 1/4 mini lop 1/4 flem has is a REW but has frosted fur. It's not pointed (like a californian) it's Frosted.

She was wondering how an rew (which is a loss of pigment) would have this frosted fur?
Also how is it that a rew can be himi pointed like californians?

do those questions make sense?

If the rabbit has pink/red eyes then it is the himilayan gene creating the "frosted" look.

This mutation is temperature sensitive which means the protein that is the black pigment melanin is mutated and only fully fuctions at cold temperatures which is why only the coolest parts of the body - the feet, tail, and face - receive properly processed levels of melanin and rest of the body gets no pigment and is white.

A himilayan coloured rabbit that is chilled as a kit will not have a white body but be a darker shade and as the fur grows the tips will be brownish but the roots white (just like growing out hair dye) but should shed out to white.

Dood":uo40nydl said:
If the rabbit has pink/red eyes then it is the himilayan gene creating the "frosted" look.

This mutation is temperature sensitive which means the protein that is the black pigment melanin is mutated and only fully fuctions at cold temperatures which is why only the coolest parts of the body - the feet, tail, and face - receive properly processed levels of melanin and rest of the body gets no pigment and is white.

A himilayan coloured rabbit that is chilled as a kit will not have a white body but be a darker shade and as the fur grows the tips will be brownish but the roots white (just like growing out hair dye) but should shed out to white.

Oh okay that makes sense. Because of the red eyes we were both confused as to how a rabbit that is supposed to have a lack of pigment actually had pigment.

EDIT:

Fun Jack Fact/Info.

I asked a friend's friend about Jack and she had this to say when I asked if he could be Chinchilla Rabbit mixed with Flem. His tan is not molting out so I'm not so sure it's sun bleaching

He definitely looks like he is mixed with a chin. I actually see more chin characteristics in him than Flemish. His coloring is a mixture between sandy and chin. An interesting mix but cute!

One line of my chins are very sooty. For the longest time, the chins and the choco agouti looked the same. The litter is 8 weeks now, and I haven't taken them out in about two weeks, so I'm anxious to see what that coat looks like. I suspect that half of the line carries Seal. Eventually the sooty ones are usually lighter than the other chins. They molt into a completely showable color, then as they get older, get sooty again. That makes their pelts unusable for me, and if the trend continues, I'm going to cull that line.

Back