Color ? I'm stumped

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beckyhuff314

Reaction score
So out of all my rabbits (ND) I have only had 1 pair that has always given me just the colors I am expecting, until now that is. I have a Black otter buck, with ALL black otters on his pedigree, and a Black otter doe that has black otters, 1 chocolate otter and 1 solid black, on her pedigree. They have had 7 litters, together, and I have gotten black otters and 2 chocolate otters out of them. Well here is litter 8 now and I got 2 black otters, like I expected and then this little Orange(?) one. I have no idea what happened here. Anyone??

Attachments

• 2013-12-15 13.41.01.jpg
    2013-12-15 13.41.01.jpg
    715.3 KB · Views: 332
It can't be a plain red/orange because there's no agouti gene there. It definitely looks like a nonextension color though. It could be a tort/orange otter or a self tort.

Is there any chance that another rabbit could have been with her at any point? Because all the oranges are A_ and all otters have to be either ata or atat. At least that's what I've been reading. Or maybe if they both carry a hidden e it could be a Tort Otter (Fox) which is at_B_C_D_ee. That's my best guess.

Looks like a tort otter / totter :D

Both parents must carry non extension and statistically you "should" get torts in 25% of the kits but genetics doesn't always follow the numbers

LilacGal":3tm9538b said:
Is there any chance that another rabbit could have been with her at any point? Because all the oranges are A_ and all otters have to be either ata or atat. At least that's what I've been reading. Or maybe if they both carry a hidden e it could be a Tort Otter (Fox) which is at_B_C_D_ee. That's my best guess.

I'm sure he is the only buck that got her. I only have 3 bucks right now. 1 black otter, 1 Himi, and 1 true Charlie. All the bucks are on the opposite side of my 3 car garage where it is colder. Doe s and kits on the warm side.

Dood":3tm9538b said:
Looks like a tort otter / totter :D

Both parents must carry non extension and statistically you "should" get torts in 25% of the kits but genetics doesn't always follow the numbers

LOL I like that, "Totter"!

Thanks all

Latest posts

Back