Choosing a breed...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miyuki

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post here. I frequent another rabbit forum but was not getting much response there. I am just starting to get into meat rabbits so thought this would be a good place to start.

So, this is my dilemma. I will be getting my first Brun trio within these next two weeks and moving out the last of my other breeds. I am so excited! I have heard such wonderful things about the Bruns, their breeders just rave about them!

However, I am itching to get to a show! I haven't been to one yet this year! :( I know, I know, the Bruns are presenting this fall but I am impatient! So, I have been considering getting a trio of another breed to play with so I can show them too. Since I have decided to focus on heritage/rare breeds this is my criteria.

Heritage/Rare
Good use as a meat rabbit
Sweet/mellow temperament
Accepted by ARBA
Can live in standard wire cages
No wool
Able to find breeders in the North West

Since doing some research I am considering Pals. Does anyone have experience with this breed? I love the look of Cremes but am put off by hearing they can have quite the attitude. Love the Belgian Hares but cannot accommodate their special housing needs and high energy. So, my criteria narrows it down a bit.

If anyone has any suggestions for me please post them! I would love to support a rare breed, have some extra culls for the freezer, and get to show too. Thanks for reading! :D

Silver Fox? :) They are becoming more readily available and easily meet the rest of your requirements. There is one accepted color (black) but there are CODs out on Blue and Chocolate and you also occasionally see white, and thanks to the addition of chocolate, lilac is now appearing too. I love the soft chubby cheeks and they really are a nice mellow breed, very easy to work with. I recommend them for a beginning meat breed.

But really, most large meat rabbits aside from the NZW and Californian are rare and in need of some conservation efforts, so pick a look that suits your taste.

If I were not doing NZ, I would have Am. Chins. They are just so beautiful, and there are a few breeders around here--I see them online. I also saw a silver fox sell out on craigslist about a month ago...

Thanks for the suggestion. I have to admit though that the black Silver Fox do not really appeal to me appearance wise. Although the Blue and Chocolates are gorgeous. Hm, I will have to look into that.

Also, can anyone comment on the disposition of Cremes? I hear they can be big brats?

I cannot speak for there but cremes in this area are no good. The gene pool is too small and breeders have not been culling well enough. To make up for it some have been breeding out to NZ and other meat breeds. I have a creme with NZ just off the pedigree and it still really carries through so that she looks nothing like my champagnes or other Argentes I've seen and has a much more nervous disposition. Because of that I never did get a creme buck and am just going to breed her to my champagne for meat rabbits. The champagnes on the other hand I am thrilled with and impatiently waiting the next litter. I'd really like to find argente bleu and am chins in the future but we need a house first before I can devote to more than my small meat rabbit herd.

We raise Satins, NZB, and Champagnes. The Satins are really cool and the come in such an array of colors. Just try something you are really drawn to, and have fun!

I'm going to suggest either the Beveren (big meaty breed that has a great fur quality) or the American. (yes, I have both :lol: )

both are the mandolin body type, and both have sweet calm personalities. EXCELLENT mothers, btw. It seems to be inherent in both breeds. hmm..what else...litters tend to be 8-13 kits. They do well on any of the diets we talk about here. Mine are going gangbusters on alfalfa/grains/greens; Most of the folks on the yahoo groups feed pellets with some timothy hay.

There are some top notch Americans out your way...well...West coast, anyway. Seems to be quite a bit of traffic up and down the coast, so getting some to BC wouldn't be hard. Beverens are a bit more rare, with the premier show breeder being in northern Indiana.

(and any rabbit can be used as a meat product, if you're interested in just meat for the table. It would be a good use of any breed, I think. Work on improving the breed, and use the culls for the table)

My mother raises beautiful Palominos and loves them! They're fantastic meat rabbits, easy to breed, the only issue is finding unrelated breeding stock which is nearly impossible.

tomcatrabbitry":2w8imeih said:
My mother raises beautiful Palominos and loves them! They're fantastic meat rabbits, easy to breed, the only issue is finding unrelated breeding stock which is nearly impossible.

But the beauty of rabbits is that you don't necessarily need unrelated breeding stock! Gotta love it. :)

Latest posts

Back