chinchilla stuff- a chinchilla family

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
part of the reason I stopped selling rabbits was the amount of people who want free ones..there is always a sob story . I had one person ask for a breeding pair. Like I would just give away my breeders..sheesh...If you can't afford to buy what you want how do you think you are going to care for it? The story was that she couldn't afford meat..rabbit is not cheep to raise even for your own use....

I sell rabbit breeding pairs fairly often. Gotta keep moving forward with the next generation if I want to improve my herd. It's harder to part with retired chinchillas and even less market for the adults. I think it's just that we have no show system for chins in iowa so they have no purpose except as not very well known pets. No pet stores stock them for anyone to see.

I might sell a breeding pair but I won't give them away. I would rather eat them myself.
But then around here people want a re home fee of at least 25 dollars for mix kittens....

There isn't much you can sell here without a cage. Meat rabbits even if great meat rabbits do not sell for more than $10-$20 unless show quality as well. Show quality stuff has to be marketed to show breeders which means not cl or hoobly. There is the d3 yahoo group and otherwise you have to go to shows which we cant. I sell adult show quality mostly to 4-h. I get a few pet buyers that are looking for true dwarf instead of pet store versions. Everything besides that people want it to come with a huge discounted cage. We squeak by selling the hedgehogs without cages but we are actually looking into bulk buying or building cages to sell at cost or better so the small animals sell better.

Zass":20evktz2 said:
JenerationX":20evktz2 said:
I feel bad for PTSD guy... I know some guys that have been through that. He needs to look into maybe a senior cat or dog or something that's more of a companion though.

Your supposed to feel bad, that is why he said it. :lol: ;) PTSD doesn't change the fact that he was trying to guilt someone into giving him a free animal that he knew little about.
Obviously, this person wasn't willing to make the commitment to actually research the animal, make a careful decision as to what is best for his situation, or actually pay for something.

Oh I agree. I can understand his wanting to have an animal... a quick snuggle is a great stress reliever for some reason.. but yeah, his commitment level to the animal is definitely not in the right place.

I got a chocolate or at least dark tan. I wanted one but they are crazy expensive. Not that they are hard to make. The problem is the darkening genes stack and when you cross out to anything that isn't ebony based you have an equal chance of every shade up to the darkest chinchilla in the cross. So the best way to get tans and especially chocolates is starting with dark tans and chocolates. That means everyone wants dark tans and chocolates whenever they appear.

He didn't want to cooperate and eventually I stuck him in a drawer to contain him.

Trying to eat yogurt

trying to eat the keyboard
<br /><br /> __________ Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:05 pm __________ <br /><br /> Today's attempt to get free chinchllas

Im interested in your chinchilla I dont have money but I can trade I have birds if you like birds or I have robo hamster

Robos are extra small dwarf hamsters. They aren't much bigger than a dollar coin.
roborovski-hamster-pictures-235.jpg

We've had some before but they only have about a 2 year lifespan and are relatively difficult to breed along with being too hyper for most children. Not many adults want to buy hamsters for themselves. It was entertaining to watch them for their short lifespans but that's about it. They tempt me sometimes though because if you do manage to get babies they are these incredibly cute little balls of tan fur that seem to hover over the ground as they dash around so fast.

I was picturing some motorized hamster... remember Petsters? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Petster9.JPG

I'm picturing someone trying to trade that for a live animal..... OMG can't stop laughing.

It's that time again. The first little chinchilla of this round of breeding made her appearance. Tov white like her dad which means the top has been darkened by the velvet gene and then it has sort of the chinchilla version of broken gene.

No widdle chinchillas here

If you are going "omg it's so small" so am I. They are so tiny with their little eye slits and fuzzy heads when newborn. Katsu is hurling insults at Josh for taking his new child.

It can't be more than a day and a half old. Probably born yesterday evening or early night after feeding time. 40grams of fluff and head.

Actually there isn't a whole lot to a chinchilla. They have thin bones (they break ribs easy), minimal skeleton, long leg bones and lots of leg muscle. They are quite athletic because they are not the big round balls they look like. That's all fur.

see if this will work. The site it came from is not in english and doesn't load anymore
images

I have named it Tsubura

The white gene washes out a lot of the velvet gene but you can see black tips on the fur in strips and patches between the white and creamy grey parts.

Latest posts

Back