Check Me Out!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have decided on 2 grow outs. I was looking at the space. So minimum 46"l x30"w but I'm really liking 5' x 30" or even 6' x 30. I want the 2 grow outs to be as large as this section of space allows. I haven't re-measured the space but I believe it is 10 feet wide. I want 2 for a couple reasons. Gender division. But also , in times like these where I have 4 litters within a couple weeks apart. I have 4 rabbits growing in a 46" x 30 that are closing in at 10 weeks. But 3 other litters are at 4 weeks plus 4-6 days and the 4th litter at 3 weeks 5 days... so about 32 kits. I want them to have space. However, I'm also going to build a tractor for the shady side and that will be my 3rd during late spring/early summer/fall.

How are your plans coming?

I'm really struggling. It's not a "bad struggle", I just can't decide if I want to build 2 ten foot lean-to's (3 sided) with three 36"x30" cages or 3 hutches 8'x 2.5' with two compartments. My plan is to use the extras as grow outs. If I start with a trio that will leave 3 cages for adults, 2 cages for grow outs, and an extra cage.

I'm really struggling. It's not a "bad struggle", I just can't decide if I want to build 2 ten foot lean-to's (3 sided) with three 36"x30" cages or 3 hutches 8'x 2.5' with two compartments. My plan is to use the extras as grow outs. If I start with a trio that will leave 3 cages for adults, 2 cages for grow outs, and an extra cage.
You also may not want your buck right next to a kindling doe. So are your does next to each other? your buck, in his cage - next to an extra empty cage,? and are the cages for grow out each right next to a doe? Or are the grow outs separate from all? What does the set up look like in your mind?

You also may not want your buck right next to a kindling doe. So are your does next to each other? your buck, in his cage - next to an extra empty cage,? and are the cages for grow out each right next to a doe? Or are the grow outs separate from all? What does the set up look like in your mind?
Depends on which method I use. If I go with 3 and 3, I'd planned on having the two does together and the buck alone, then grow out with the extra cages in each run. If I went with the 3 hutches of 2, then I'd planned to put the 2 does together and the buck alone, then use the third cage of 2 for grow outs and the extra cage with the buck as overflow.

Have you figured out the cost for each. That might be the easiest way. I plan on doing a 15 ft 5 compartment cage set, start with 2 does and buck in that with 2 for growouts. Then, while they're breeding add a 6ft-2 compartment for raising another couple does for breeding. That would also give me two more growouts for each of them and I can expand the cages as I go.

In this past year, my herd has almost tripled in size! I added Satins as well as more New Zealands. I have already have several hundred dollars worth of sales this year. Lately I haven't been able to process any rabbits because I am selling all of them. But it is a good problem to have. I started a waiting list and it is almost full for my three upcoming litters! I recently started a facebook page and I have 45 followers!
You can find my facebook page at Her Farmstead Rabbitry! A few weeks ago I started growing fodder for my rabbits. They love it and so do I because it saves me money! With all of these rabbits I have been blowing through feed! I am so excited to see what this year will bring (hopefully some blue baby rabbits!)
My goals this year are:
1. I am going to start pedigrees on my New Zealands,
2. I am going to make my money back from this years purchases.
3. I am going to start a youtube channel.
4. I am going to have 100 followers on facebook
5. I am going to be able to process more litters.
6. I am going to feed fodder every other day.
Feel free to share your goas and accomplishments!
Do you have a license for processing? Do you have to have inspections? I started looking at NC laws for selling rabbits yesterday and got confused. One site said meat rabbits you didnt have to have a license and another you did. I started to look for someone to process if I wanted to sell. I just decided to look into it later

Do you have a license for processing? Do you have to have inspections? I started looking at NC laws for selling rabbits yesterday and got confused. One site said meat rabbits you didnt have to have a license and another you did. I started to look for someone to process if I wanted to sell. I just decided to look into it later
You are supposed to have an indoor processing facility. I don't have one I have only sold one processed meat rabbit. Daniel Gaines knows what he is talking about. He is in charge of it. Here is his email if you are interested in reaching out to him. [email protected]

You are supposed to have the facility inspected.

You are supposed to have an indoor processing facility. I don't have one I have only sold one processed meat rabbit. Daniel Gaines knows what he is talking about. He is in charge of it. Here is his email if you are interested in reaching out to him. [email protected]
Thank you. I also emailed someone through that website for a webinar about raising meat rabbits that I plan to watch.

I started watching the webinar! Thank you for the reminder to continue watching it!
You're welcome! I am waiting for time to sit with my husband and watch it.

We just ordered the first bit of wire so we have time. I was a little frustrated because I want to get started. But I have faith ill come across the rabbits we need at the perfect time.

You're welcome! I am waiting for time to sit with my husband and watch it.

We just ordered the first bit of wire so we have time. I was a little frustrated because I want to get started. But I have faith ill come across the rabbits we need at the perfect time.
I was super excited too! But I didn't make very smart first decisions. For example I bought young rabbits and by the time they were old enough to breed I discovered that they were both bucks! To be fair though I was a 14 year old making those decisions! Now I have 11 breeders, So it worked out in the end.

I was super excited too! But I didn't make very smart first decisions. For example I bought young rabbits and by the time they were old enough to breed I discovered that they were both bucks! To be fair though I was a 14 year old making those decisions! Now I have 11 breeders, So it worked out in the end.
Oh wow!!!

I'm thinking I'll get 2 does and a buck ready to breed and then get two more does from their kits building 4 more cages 2 at a time.

My husband want Californian which I haven't found nearby. I haven't found many for sale near me so far. I did in Mebane but there's not a lot of info on the webpage. There were silver foxes for sale on Craigslist so that might be what we get. I think I've seen new zealands too. I've just been trying to keep my eyes open for now. I think my almost 15 year old is going to love this.
What breed of rabbits are you starting out with?

Ha!, sprouts are not popular over here either, mine also turned up twitchy noses! :ROFLMAO: I wonder if we could create a survey for popular flowers, herbs and veggies. I would love to know if bunny breeds all love the same food, or if for example, it is just NZ's that go mad for comfrey? Do bunnies from India have a penchant for the exotic? Aubergine, mooli or okra anyone?

Mine seem to love Comfrey, Basil, Kale, Mustard Greens, Pea Plants, Cilantro, Parsley. And of course their fruit tree wood clippings. Once in a blue moon they get some dragon fruit skin or a few mulberries and they're in heaven. I raise TAMUK Composites.

Ha!, sprouts are not popular over here either, mine also turned up twitchy noses! :ROFLMAO: I wonder if we could create a survey for popular flowers, herbs and veggies. I would love to know if bunny breeds all love the same food, or if for example, it is just NZ's that go mad for comfrey? Do bunnies from India have a penchant for the exotic? Aubergine, mooli or okra anyone?
Mine like comfrey and bark from fruit tree pruning, fresh pulled grass. They rejected several kinds of fruit, won't eat carrots. I understand too much comfrey is toxic, but you can't trust everything you read on the internet!

Latest posts

Back