Champagne d'argent stock wanted

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azbowhunter

Reaction score
Gang,
I've been doing my research and planning for the past 6 months, learning and gaining an understanding of rabbitosis, that affliction we all share to one degree or another, and expanding my knowledge of breeds, characteristics, and the rules and regs of each.
I've found a handful of Champagne d'argent in my area, but every single line traces straight back to one breeder's lines, and that concerns me greatly.
While i understand that rabbit genetics are fairly flexible, having the same gene pool as every breeder in the state doesn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling at all.
So, in an endeavor to separate my herd and serve the breed the best i can, I'm looking for breeders outside the Sky Island lines.
Make no mistake, Sky Island produces some fantastic Champagnes.
I have tremendous respect and appreciation for their program and their rabbits.
I just have concerns about the future of the breed and the soundness of my own breeding program across the board.
Can anyone help me acquire at least one buck and one doe with totally different generic lines?
Thanks in advance gang! I really appreciate it more than words can possibly convey!

May I just make the observation that just because one breeder dominates in your area that the rabbits themselves are not necessarily all inbred into just one "line"? If you respect this breeder and like their animals, then there is nothing wrong with starting with them at all. They have done all the hard work and probably and most likely have "imported" stock themselves to be where they are today. Inbreeding rabbits is not bad if the stock is good and there are no genetic "issues".Outcrossing is the biggest crapshoot because you have no idea what lurks behind unrelated rabbits. I would go with the best you can get and as you get to know the rabbits' strengths and weaknesses, then start to look for Champs outside of your area that can improve upon your herds' weak points. You may get lucky and find a doe or two who do actually go back to some other breeders outside of your area. We were actually lucky that way as we got some stock locally that were off of Planks' stock and were just first generation off too! Good Luck with your Champagne programme!!

Devon's Mom Lauren":sodwjgb1 said:
May I just make the observation that just because one breeder dominates in your area that the rabbits themselves are not necessarily all inbred into just one "line"? If you respect this breeder and like their animals, then there is nothing wrong with starting with them at all. They have done all the hard work and probably and most likely have "imported" stock themselves to be where they are today. Inbreeding rabbits is not bad if the stock is good and there are no genetic "issues".Outcrossing is the biggest crapshoot because you have no idea what lurks behind unrelated rabbits. I would go with the best you can get and as you get to know the rabbits' strengths and weaknesses, then start to look for Champs outside of your area that can improve upon your herds' weak points. You may get lucky and find a doe or two who do actually go back to some other breeders outside of your area. We were actually lucky that way as we got some stock locally that were off of Planks' stock and were just first generation off too! Good Luck with your Champagne programme!!

That is excellent advice, Lauren! Too many of us as newbies have made this mistake and it can set back a breeding program by YEARS....unrelated is not always better.

I would kill for some of Sky Island's stuff. Tried getting a hold of em b4 my little brother came up from down south to get a doe from them with no luck. Personally from everyone I've talked to perspective stick to your one line, once you've figured out your weakness go out and look for a buck that can improve on that weakness. You want to keep your herd as closed as possible so you can work out your own faults and not import new ones

Gang, it makes some sense to stick with a single line, and i really appreciate all the great feedback advice, input, and wisdom.
Yes, sky island has some amazing stock, and around Arizona, everyone has lines that originate groom their herd.
Nothing at all wrong with that.
However, my concern is genetic diversity for the long term preservation of the breed.
Finding a different line that is also excellent will enable me to not only have a great line myself, but also offer my fellow sufferers of rabbitosis extremus with their lines by having the ability to provide a separate strong line to enhance their genetic composition.

Actually I was making the point with STARTING with the single line that you have available, establishing your own homebreds and THEN bringing in what you need to improve in your herd. Also putting two "strong" lines together does not always work the way you want! Been there, done that with Mini Rex for years! So-called "genetic diversity" doesn't really get you what you want and then if it does its hit and miss what you get.

That was what i was stating as well, just got a little excited at the sky island prospect. Ive been trying to get my mother to bring a doe up from them for some time.

I just join the site and saw champagnes were being discussed. There are several different lines across the country,mines a mix of 2 breeders in Illinois who both were competitive at the convention level and with there stock I also am highly competitive at any level.My stock comes from Wayne Cleer and Dean Jamiesons lines.I always have juniors for sale and most are sold before they reach maturity.I strictly line breed and I've heard there inbred to a fault and that just isn't true.Anyway I know a lot about the breed and sell everything I raise thats showable.<br /><br />__________ Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:14 pm __________<br /><br />I;ll have stock for sale at the Mini Convention in Columbus, Ohio the first week end in May.

Back