Cantaloupe??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susie570

Reaction score
I just ate a couple of slices of cantaloupe and I'm thinking of giving the rinds (which still have some 'flesh' on them) to the buns. They've never had melon before... is it ok to give it to them and how much should I give them?

Well, bunnies have the final say.
They all gave it a good sniffing, but no one was interested. The young buck (Smokey) actually licked it a few times, but wasn't interested in taking a nibble. I had planned to just give each of them a few bites, but oh well.

:shrug:

I've never fed cantaloupe or watermelon to our rabbits. Our goose, Elsie, has dibs on those. Fruit is generally too high in sugar to be more than an occasional treat, so I'd keep the portions very small. If memory serves me, some people have fed melon or watermelon to their rabbit as treats, especially frozen in the heat of summer.

Oops. I see I'm too late.

Mine love it when they get it. We just make sure to wash the cantaloupe thoroughly before cutting. You know the "typical" cantaloupe wedge... I give half of the rind per bun. :)

Sorry yours didn't like it. :shrug:

Miss M":1fzrb1b6 said:
Mine love it when they get it. We just make sure to wash the cantaloupe thoroughly before cutting. You know the "typical" cantaloupe wedge... I give half of the rind per bun. :)

Just the rind or the melon too?

Bunnies are oddballs. I basically trust their instincts though.
The two adults are being given a little bit of dandelion (almost) every day, since they are so plentiful right now, and they gobble them up. I'm giving one dandelion flower and two leaves to each adult. They could probably eat more, but I'm hesitant to give them too much. I wonder if it would be safe to let the younger rabbits nibble on a leaf at this point? Not a whole leaf, maybe... but just a few bites of it?

I do give the young rabbits a small piece of cilantro every so often. They seem to enjoy that.

Mine get cilantro almost every day. If I don;t have it ready there is 20 acres of it behind my house. :mrgreen: Mine get it from the time they steal it from their mom. I figure they're already use to it getting it from moms milk. Something else they really like is Radish leaves. I get them from the farm where they fall off the cleaning machine conveyer by the grocery bag full.

My horses would never eat cantaloupe. My grandpa would just keep throwing rinds out there that got ignored and attracted bugs while rotting. I'm not surprised some rabbits won't eat it.

Cilantro is great stuff. It's a well balanced herb as far as nutrition. It grows like a weed and does well with broadcast sowing into an area that does not contain undesirable weeds. You'll have a big patch of it and any grasses and edible weeds to feed out.

Homer":2ux1kf6t said:
Miss M":2ux1kf6t said:

My buns get both. Sometimes they love it and there'll be nothing left, and sometimes they're less eager. I think they crave it more if they're missing something that's in it. (Mine don't get any pellets.)

my rabbits run the gambit with melons of all sorts.

Some won't touch it.
Some like the outside part only.
Others eat the flesh only.
and yet others eat the entire thing so fast you'd best not blink.

It's a great way to get water into buns that are being fussy on eating.

Homer":2sgzwa2t said:
Miss M":2sgzwa2t said:

Sometimes they'll get some melon... just less of it because of the sugar. :)

We've gave ours all kinds of fruits and veggies and they do well. We have gave cantalope rinds to them too. They seemed to eat the inside more than the outside though. Hope that helps. :)

Mine seem to prefer watermelon over cantaloupe. They don't get it often as the ducks and chickens get dibs on the melons, grapes, and blueberries.

As for broadcasting cilantro...why didn't I think of that!?! :p it will be done soon--right into the "rabbit pasture" of clovers, grasses, and "weeds".

I'm very pleased to say that the cilantro seeds I planted last year seem to be growing :D
I had thought they were not, but when I checked the last couple of days, I definitely have a large patch sprouting up. I hope it grows nicely. We love cilantro ourselves, aside from being good bunny food.

I also found plantain growing in a few spots. I wonder if I can transplant it to a different place, make a whole patch of it. We have plenty of dandelions.

Susie570":3gkps1hv said:
I'm very pleased to say that the cilantro seeds I planted last year seem to be growing :D
I had thought they were not, but when I checked the last couple of days, I definitely have a large patch sprouting up. I hope it grows nicely. We love cilantro ourselves, aside from being good bunny food.

I also found plantain growing in a few spots. I wonder if I can transplant it to a different place, make a whole patch of it. We have plenty of dandelions.

Just so you know, the cilantro is an excellent re-seeder. I didn't have to plant any more this year- it all came back up. Just let it go to seed where it is now.

I just transplanted some plantain today that I started from seed in pots. I was amazed at the size of the root system for the tiny plants. If you decide to move them, I would make sure to dig up a largish area around the plants to make sure you get a good amount of roots.

Marinea":17s9aend said:
Susie570":17s9aend said:

Just so you know, the cilantro is an excellent re-seeder. I didn't have to plant any more this year- it all came back up. Just let it go to seed where it is now.

I just transplanted some plantain today that I started from seed in pots. I was amazed at the size of the root system for the tiny plants. If you decide to move them, I would make sure to dig up a largish area around the plants to make sure you get a good amount of roots.

Hmm, maybe I should wait and collect seeds instead. How does it do indoors? I'd like to have a big, indoor bunny garden. :D

Well, outside it is one of those "plant and forget" plants. I have mine in a big old iron wash tub, and I rarely do anything but give it a touch of water. It loves sun, warm weather and being left alone. If you have a nice sunny spot, I would think it would do fine.

Latest posts

Back