Canaan Dogs

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cattle Cait

Reaction score
I've heard of them, I've done my research, but I was wondering if anyone has had any personal experience knowing or owning a Canaan Dog. They're expensive so I don't plan on getting one as a search & rescue dog (that'll be an Aussie or Border Collie for sure) but I'm thinking of a herding dog for at home and eventually breeding.

There is a very nice family here in Georgia that has raised Canaan Dogs for years. I have never owned one and can't tell you any information personally, but they are very passionate about the breed and I'm sure they'd be glad to give you an upfront idea of what to expect. Their kennel name is River Rock. I'm not sure if they still have a website, but here is their facebook page if that helps:

http://www.facebook.com/CanaanDogsofRiverRock

Best of luck,

Lauren

In the show ring-- they can be im[ressive-- seems to me, they would be a handfull if not fully stimulated by a real job!

We've only had a few into our salon, and my advice is socialize like mad...every one of the admittedly few I've met has been CRAZY dog-agressive and small-animal-agressive. I blame their owners for not socializing a very intelligent, highly active breed of dog.

Also, be prepared for some world-class shedding. ;) They aren't as bad as, say...a Siberian Husky, but...they are close. XD

I'd say worse. I can handle a dog-agressive unsocialized Heeler or Cattle Dog. Canaans are a lot more...intense in their agression. When they agress, it is like...their very being desires nothing but DOOM. Cattle Dogs and Heelers seem more "OMG MUST EAT THE OTHER CRITTER" and get super excited. Less likely to whip around and redirect the agression on the groomer, too. ;)

canaan dogs NEED... let me stress this.. they MUST have a job. They need to be kept busy. They need to be trained. They function really well independently and they are SMART. They had to as they were often left to manage themselves as part of a more nomadic society. Excellent watch dogs, excellent with THEIR family but watchful and wary of all others.

Ergo.... know your dog stuff before you get one. I looked in them for a long time as I really like them.. and I talked with a few people and that's what the majority of them told me. If you can get one that likes you and you can train it to work for you... I saw one in action as an agility dog and it was like...wow... NICE dog. :) but the handler was not eager to get others hooked on the breed. The handler acknowledged that the dog was really really liked but she was a difficult dog to train because she was husky like her temperament and the handler had expected more of a collie type temperament. it was kinda like a "i like my dog, but these are the reasons you don't want to get one"...which helps to dissuade the really not ready for that type of dog people. :)

So now I've set my sights on a border terrier some time. :)

I looked into both Canaan's and Karelian Bear dogs years ago as possible ranch guard dogs. I decided that unless one got very lucky to get one with the temperament to exactly mesh with the owner's and it was "willing" to accede the dominant status to a human, that it would not end well. I didn't feel quite up to the challenge at the time- maybe later!- but they are both fascinating breeds.

I have no experience with Canaans, but dog aggression and small animal aggression are not socialization issues. Those are traits common in many breeds.

quintex":214k1r62 said:
I have no experience with Canaans, but dog aggression and small animal aggression are not socialization issues. Those are traits common in many breeds.

It can be (almost all terriers for example are a bit game and can have dog agression) but I've seen a lot of dogs who should be ok with other dogs and animals turn agressive when not socialized. You cannot tell me that PACK-breeds like Harriers and various coon-hunting hound breeds are meant to be dog-agressive, since they are intended to often be used in packs...yet many I see are dog agressive due to lack of socialization with other dogs. Similarly the number of Labs I've met who are viciously dog-agressive is staggering, and I always ask about it when I'm the dog's groomer, and invariably I get a stupid response like "Oh, we've never had him around other dogs before." Uhhhhyeah, no kidding, hence the inability to deal with other dogs in a rational manner. :roll: One of the reasons I always take a new puppy to training classes is because the classes I go to allow "puppy playtime" breaks where the puppies and some mellow older dogs are allowed to socialize off-leash and play together. I can obedience train a dog on my own, but getting my puppy out there with other dogs and people helps to ensure my dog's first reaction to meeting a strange (human or canine) isn't fear or agression. I don't always get über-outgoing dogs but they remain at least neutral to others. I've seen too many dogs have issues to doubt the importance of socialzation.

A properly-socialized Pit Bull, a breed created for the purpose of dogfighting and a breed that as a true terrier is almost certain to have inherent dog agression, can be as patient and calm and friendly to other dogs as any breed. It IS a matter of socialization.

Kyle@theHeathertoft":39pbn9g6 said:
quintex":39pbn9g6 said:

It can be (almost all terriers for example are a bit game and can have dog agression) but I've seen a lot of dogs who should be ok with other dogs and animals turn agressive when not socialized. You cannot tell me that PACK-breeds like Harriers and various coon-hunting hound breeds are meant to be dog-agressive, since they are intended to often be used in packs...yet many I see are dog agressive due to lack of socialization with other dogs. Similarly the number of Labs I've met who are viciously dog-agressive is staggering, and I always ask about it when I'm the dog's groomer, and invariably I get a stupid response like "Oh, we've never had him around other dogs before." Uhhhhyeah, no kidding, hence the inability to deal with other dogs in a rational manner. :roll: One of the reasons I always take a new puppy to training classes is because the classes I go to allow "puppy playtime" breaks where the puppies and some mellow older dogs are allowed to socialize off-leash and play together. I can obedience train a dog on my own, but getting my puppy out there with other dogs and people helps to ensure my dog's first reaction to meeting a strange (human or canine) isn't fear or agression. I don't always get über-outgoing dogs but they remain at least neutral to others. I've seen too many dogs have issues to doubt the importance of socialzation.

A properly-socialized Pit Bull, a breed created for the purpose of dogfighting and a breed that as a true terrier is almost certain to have inherent dog agression, can be as patient and calm and friendly to other dogs as any breed. It IS a matter of socialization.

There are no guarantees that any dog or breed should be OK with other dog since they are, after all, individuals. But I wouldn't be so quick to call an under socialized dog aggressive. Fear can make dogs do interesting things.

I've actually hunted over fox hounds, so I have a little insight into hunting with packs. DA ones would be quickly culled, but they tend to be extremely focused on the task at hand so not necessarily a problem.

As for the labs... UGH. I used to work at a vet and absolutely detested all labs. I really like them now and have looked at some breedings from FT lines, but pet labs are the absolute worst because of the owners. So I guess what I really don't like are pet-only people that can't even manage to get their dogs out of the house.

I don't agree that just because a pit bull is well socialized directly translates to a sexually mature adult PB that will tolerate the close presence of other dogs. You can't change their genes.

My malinois right now has some veery mild SSA and it's not because she was under socialized. She is who she is.

ladysown":1timv6xx said:
canaan dogs NEED... let me stress this.. they MUST have a job. They need to be kept busy. They need to be trained. They function really well independently and they are SMART. They had to as they were often left to manage themselves as part of a more nomadic society. Excellent watch dogs, excellent with THEIR family but watchful and wary of all others.

I don't plan on getting one until I get to know some Canaans in person (and because I have no money for a $700) but any dog of mine WILL have a job. We don't often keep dogs here as companions. They're either hunting dogs, herding dogs, or, eventually, as a search & rescue dog if things go well. I think a SAR job would be great for a Canaan, that's what a lot of books I've looked at so far say.

Basically, my ultimate decision is, no Canaan for me until I get either sheep or get started in SAR.

Back