Can I make a Rex coated New Zealand?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GBov":16xqm28m said:
All my NZs had dewlaps big enough to use as pillows, even my bucks had small dewlaps! Red, White, Blue all had them.

They had probably been crossed with a Californian ...

Ramjet":8qs5ikup said:
GBov":8qs5ikup said:
All my NZs had dewlaps big enough to use as pillows, even my bucks had small dewlaps! Red, White, Blue all had them.

Even the Reds, Blues and brokens of both?

GBov":3dsta7ey said:
Ramjet":3dsta7ey said:
GBov":3dsta7ey said:

I'd say yes, because in order to get colors in a breed that was originally REW, you'd have to cross that REW to something to reveal what's underneath.

SOP says a small dewlap is permitted on does.

GBov":1iw6cord said:

Neither of my does that were New Zealand mixes had big dew laps either. Nothing like my Rex's have and they are still brewing their first litters.

GBov":3mfvxqpg said:
Ramjet":3mfvxqpg said:
GBov":3mfvxqpg said:

Yep ... Basically some breeder sold you something other than what was advertised if they told you they were pure NZ.

Unless you are getting stock from a highly reputable breeder or one of the university programs .... there aint no telling what kind of genetics you are getting.

The image I posted above is what you are shooting for with NZ .... No dew lap and that big blocky head on the commercial type body with short limbs.

Looks nothing close to a quality rex.

Crossing breeds & showing / selling them as purebreds is unethical. It's a flat out lie.

Also~ Rex are a 4 class breed, and NZ are a 6 class breed due to the sizing and growth...

I currently have a lovely rex coated mutt 'Hazel' (out of my Rex buck), so apparently her mutt mama has some rex behind her.
She *looks* rexy~ she has the sculptured face.
But she isn't... and since I do have pedigreed rex, I won't likely breed her back to my Rex... because there are no true Rex around here and I don't want to send out rex-coated mutts into the gene pool and bring down the value of my own Rex ;)

Back