Can anyone tell me how this happened?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damani

Reaction score
122013 2.8 mo Sable doe.JPGThis pair sire Satin:
dam?:[ATTACH type="full" alt="122013 2.8 mo Sable doe.JPG

Gave me these two[attachment=2]041014 sired 8 kits with Freya (1).JPG"]2[/ATTACH]

Is this the precursor to a lion head? The doe must have Angora wouldn't you say?

Attachments

• 041014 sired 8 kits with Freya (1).JPG
    041014 sired 8 kits with Freya (1).JPG
    124 KB · Views: 316
  • DSCN2220.JPG
    DSCN2220.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 316
  • DSCN2217.JPG
    DSCN2217.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 316
The maned / lionhead gene is dominate so only one parent needs to have the gene to create longer fur around the neck while the angora / long fur gene is recessive and two copies (one from each parent) should be required to see long fur in the offspring and I don't think it would be localized to the collar area :shrug:

Dood":1o898juk said:
The maned / lionhead gene is dominate so only one parent needs to have the gene to create longer fur around the neck while the angora / long fur gene is recessive and two copies (one from each parent) should be required to see long fur in the offspring and I don't think it would be localized to the collar area :shrug:
So I bred the 'maned' dam with a pure French Angora, what are the odds the offspring will be maned or full angora?Helios  (2).JPG
The other kits in this litter are not maned:

Attachments

• DSCN2158.JPG
    DSCN2158.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 293
My line has a touch of lionhead. It shows up as fluff on the head and neck, belly and around the bottom/back of the hindquarters or any combination of this. With some of them all the fluff disappears as they shed but with some it stays.

The top two rabbits are siblings? Looks like the doe at least has lionhead in her. She must be a single mane otherwise the entire litter would have been maned.

My "Leonis Rex" doe Queen who is half Rex half Craigslist Lionhead has beautiful sheen to her coat as well. As far as I know she doesn't have any Satin in her though.

IMG_9947 - Copy.JPG

Damani":36e41rl9 said:
So I bred the 'maned' dam with a pure French Angora, what are the odds the offspring will be maned or full angora?

You will probably get some maned kits from her, but I think for wool you will have to wait until the second generation.

If you breed two maned kits together some of the offspring should be double maned. You will be able to tell because they have bald patches on their sides and neck after the fur on their backs starts coming in. Single maned rabbits often lose most or all of their manes and skirt as they mature, whereas the DM rabbits will keep theirs.

Latest posts

Back