Californian markings?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desolim

Reaction score
I've been trying to find info on this and not having much luck.

All of the Californian kits that I've seen for sale have very weak, light grey points.

Do the markings darken with age, or is what I see what I get?

Trying to come up with a back up plan, because it looks like the breeder I was getting a buck from has flaked on me.

they come in light, they can darken with age. Ask to see pics of the parents. That will give you a good clue. :)

It is possible they just haven't darkened yet

True Californians should only have black points and genetically be self based himilayan and no other colour is showable

Unfortunately many people call any himilayan coloured rabbit a "Californian" and their crosses with New Zealand Whites are often genetically chestnuts and agouti based which causes the faded points and is especially noticeable on the tail as it will be white on the underside instead of black

For meat purposes it doesn't really matter but if you want to show your Cali's or sell potential show stock you should be certain you are not introducing the dominant agouti gene as 50% to 100% of the offspring will be unshowable

Back