Calcium deficiency in nursing does

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caldhara

Reaction score
Well I guess I got a little to comfortable with the ratios and amounts I was feeding the momma does. Last night I came home to one of the mommas just sitting still with a blank, dazed look on her face. Normally she greets me to get her oats and molasses mix so it was clear things were off. She hadn't touched her food from breakfast when she seemed normal last. I reached out to the facebook arba page and the consensus was a calcium deficiency that happens around when the babies are two weeks. I did a syringe with Tums in water all throughout the night and this morning she seemed better and willing to drink the solution on her own and eat her greens but I'm worried. The other doe downed lots of the tums water very happily and I'm glad to have caught her before it was an issue for her. It makes me sad that I let them down though :( Don't ever want to cause suffering so when something happens that I cause, I feel less confident in the whole process.

We all feel bad when something like this goes awry, but don't let it shake you. You came up with the solution quickly and addressed it.

Rabbits have a pretty steep learning curve. There are going to be some false starts and obstacles. As long as you are learning and working to do the best you can, that's all anyone can ask of you.

I hope the doe pulls through alright. You might be able to give Tums by themselves now.

:grouphug:

Just curious... Do most of you on this forum give Tums to your does before or after kindling? If so, how? Do you crush them and add to water? Will your does eat the Tums out of your hand?

Thanks!

I don't think it's a regular thing (Ive never needed to feed tums or any other calcium supplement to my rabbits before or after kindling and I've had over 200 litters :shrug: ) but it is an easy and safe compound to give late term, kindling and lactating does if they seem "off"

PS - to relate to your other post; a doe with this issue would be on my short list for replacing

rtower":vh72ursf said:
Just curious... Do most of you on this forum give Tums to your does before or after kindling? If so, how? Do you crush them and add to water? Will your does eat the Tums out of your hand?

Thanks!

I reached out to the facebook arba page and the consensus was a calcium deficiency that happens around when the babies are two weeks.
I don't give them to mine.
The alfalfa based pellets and greens I feed usually have plenty of calcium for does with large litters.

Feeds and feeding styles are very different though, and if I was having a problem like this I'd be taking a long hard look at what my rabbits were eating, to see if it was something that could easily corrected through a feed adjustment.

If no problem was found, like Dood mentioned, those does would be added to the short list.

I'd also noticed that there were quite a few on facebook groups that give tums as a routine supplement, which I find quite ironic, since alfalfa hay is often recommended against due to it's high calcium content in the same groups.

Does anyone know if rabbits can acquire "supplemental" calcium from their water. Our water is very hard due to high concentrations of calcium carbonates. Did a test once (titration?) and was amazed at the amount of calcium that dropped out of the water sample.

Not sure if that source of calcium is "locked up" or if the rabbits could actually absorb some of it?

Thanks!

I have given Tums only a couple of times. Both times were for does on day 32 or 33, just in case they were having some unnoticeable difficulty that was keeping them over the due date a little. I have no idea whether there actually was any problem.

I just put it on top of their food. Later, I see the Tums are gone.

In a case like you had with your doe, though, absolutely... crush, mix with water, syringe... you did 100% the right thing.

rtower":szh7z4w1 said:
Does anyone know if rabbits can acquire "supplemental" calcium from their water. Our water is very hard due to high concentrations of calcium carbonates. Did a test once (titration?) and was amazed at the amount of calcium that dropped out of the water sample.

Not sure if that source of calcium is "locked up" or if the rabbits could actually absorb some of it?

Thanks!
Tums is calcium carbonate, I believe. I don't know if it's locked up when in water. From what I read, it's not usually very soluble in water, so when you crush Tums and mix it with water, I would guess you're making more of a suspension than a solution.

You could probably ask your doctor about the calcium in your water.

You absorb it
Hard water is not a health hazard. In fact, the National Research Council (National Academy of Sciences) states that hard drinking water generally contributes a small amount to- ward the total calcium and magnesium needed in the human diet. The Council further states that in some instances, where dissolved calcium and magnesium are very high, water could be a major contributor of calcium and magnesium to the diet

I generally put a Tums on top of the food of does who have just kindled. If they eat it, they get a Tums morning and night until they stop eating it. Usually, they only eat it two or three times.

Same as Frecs. Since my Rex have such large litters, and the dwarfs generally small ones, I give it on occasion, mostly in the summer when I am feeding high amounts of forage, and for does that go over 32 days. For that, I mostly prefer to feed lavender.

My litters are 3 weeks old and I decided to give each doe a Tums after reading that. :p

I'm just feeding Producer's Pride and I know it's not the greatest for lactating does, so I've been a bit concerned. None of the does gobbled the tablet up, but I left one in each feeder and it was gone when I checked them today.

Miss M":398dls4h said:
skysthelimit":398dls4h said:
For that, I mostly prefer to feed lavender.
:shock: I thought lavender was basically an emergency, expel-everything-from-the-uterus-now type of thing.

I could be wrong, but I think Sky feeds the lavender to overdue does in order to induce labour before they get into difficulties from being too long overdue. (Please correct me if I'm wrong about that, Sky.)

MaggieJ":3mn4apq4 said:
Miss M":3mn4apq4 said:
skysthelimit":3mn4apq4 said:
For that, I mostly prefer to feed lavender.
:shock: I thought lavender was basically an emergency, expel-everything-from-the-uterus-now type of thing.

I could be wrong, but I think Sky feeds the lavender to overdue does in order to induce labour before they get into difficulties from being too long overdue. (Please correct me if I'm wrong about that, Sky.)

Yes, exactly. I tend to think as calcium in the same way. Only if I think there is going to be trouble will I give a do anything extra besides regular feed. I am also finding does will self regulate, they only eat the Tums or Lavender if they need it. I've found many tums pills in the bottom of the tray. Dandelion or one of the other high calcium leafy greens goes over much better, but still only if the doe is over, or if she seems not to have enough milk

Dood":1o212pbn said:
You absorb it
Hard water is not a health hazard. In fact, the National Research Council (National Academy of Sciences) states that hard drinking water generally contributes a small amount to- ward the total calcium and magnesium needed in the human diet. The Council further states that in some instances, where dissolved calcium and magnesium are very high, water could be a major contributor of calcium and magnesium to the diet

Our water comes from the well. It was tested and the calcium is off the charts. I have issues with calcium deposits in my back so I don't drink the water. I just hope the buns won't have an problems. Too much calcium can be as bad as not enough.

I've read elsewhere that rabbits excrete excess calcium in their urine, so too much calcium shouldn't be an issue. Other ingredients might be an issue, in excess though.

Susie570":h36y1yqk said:
I've read elsewhere that rabbits excrete excess calcium in their urine, so too much calcium shouldn't be an issue. Other ingredients might be an issue, in excess though.

Isn't calcium a key element in blabber and kidney stones?

wamplercathy":2xz1mtmr said:
Susie570":2xz1mtmr said:

Isn't calcium a key element in blabber and kidney stones?

Depends on the type of stones. Calcium oxilate are calcium based, but not a result of too much calcium in humans, more a result of too much protein causing the body to not process it correctly, and or the kidneys not being properly flushed, due to dehydration or not drinking enough water (specifically).

Latest posts

Back