Cage Wire -- Grrrr.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lastfling

Reaction score
I've about come to the conclusion that unless you order from a cage supplier you're not going to find the wire you need to build cages with. I was at Southern States, a farm supply store, asking them if they carried 1/2 x 1" GAW 14Ga wire. (They don't but can order welded wire in the size (mesh width/length) you want from their suppliers) As in most searches, I can find all the 16Ga nonspecified as to before or after weld at a real reasonable price (100' for 100' roll") of 24". Same with the side 1x2" wire, except it is 14Ga and is basically same price for a 100' roll. I'm tempted to just go with it, and/or order the 14Ga for side and order at a show the wire for the bottoms of the cages. Or I might just order both and plan on changing out bottoms in the next couple years. On the plus side, Southern States will order and have it here within a couple of days.

Yup, that's why I just went with w/e the store had and covered the cages from the rain.

I would order the wire from a cage supplier. I made some of my growout pens using GBW wire from a feed store, and some of the welds have already broken. The GAW wire I ordered from Klubertanz is amazing stuff! I'll never buy GBW again.

The GAW has a longer "life", and as an added bonus you can kiss your wire nippers goodbye and cut it with a reciprocating saw! Your hands will thank you, and it is so-o-o much faster.

MamaSheepdog":2ypsdttq said:
I would order the wire from a cage supplier. I made some of my growout pens using GBW wire from a feed store, and some of the welds have already broken. The GAW wire I ordered from Klubertanz is amazing stuff! I'll never buy GBW again.

The GAW has a longer "life", and as an added bonus you can kiss your wire nippers goodbye and cut it with a reciprocating saw! Your hands will thank you, and it is so-o-o much faster.

I agree with that. The savings in cost is not worth the shorter life of the GBW. There is so much work involved with building a good cage that you want it to last.

Latest posts

Back