Cage question for those with PET bunnies.......

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Br'er

Reaction score
Do your pet bunnies like a wire mesh type cage or a hutch style cage where they have a privacy hiding place? We plan to keep our bunny out of the cage a bunch but just wondering what personal space they prefer.

My house rabbit has always been in a solid floored pen, but she doesn't seem to need a hiding place.
Instead, she prefers a ledge to hop up on to get a better view.

Depends on the rabbit. One cage we built indoors we called the Amako cave. Amako didn't like open spaces so for simplicity we ran plywood up all sides of her cage except the front and used it as part of the frame for the cages above. She also still had a plastic house that she sat in. I setup a big cage for Shimo with a rubbermaid container that had a door cut in it but she lounged on top of it all day long and never went inside so we changed the top to wire to let waste fall through and give her a clean lookout point. Kido just wanted a square of squishy cloth to lay on in front of an open door where he watched the world without leaving his little cage. I never upgraded him because he really didn't care to do anything except sit in front of an open door.

They are all different.

My house bunnies like to lounge on the third level of their condo as well, they get a good view and can look down on the dogs :) This level is wood with a ceramic tile tied on for easy cleaning.

In my experience a hide box quickly gets converted to a litter box :(

I think one of my biggest surprises about rabbits was that they like to get up high. Climbing ledges make happy bunnies. Make sure you don't use slick materials for any flooring. I did and FORTUNATELY, no bunny got hurt, but it scares me because a rabbit can break it's back on slick flooring.

Most of my rabbits really like to use a litter box, but I still prefer wire flooring because they randomly decide they want to pee outside of the litter box. I can't predict it and it's annoying. The litter box still helps to contain MOST of the waste.

One of the biggest things I wish I had planned for is portability of cages. I'm now if the process of adding rollers to my stacks, so I can easily move them.

If you go with solid flooring, be prepared to clean it daily and don't think you can scoop it out like a cat box. Simply does not work with rabbits.

As for a hidey hole.... that depends on how social your rabbit is. You can provide a place and see if they want to use it. My rabbits mostly want to hang out as close to us as possible, at least the social ones do.

Definitely plan for toys. Bunnies like toys. :)

There is also stuff that you have around..pine cones, tuna cans(make sure you crimp down any edges). My buns like the large cans like tomatoes come in with both ends removed, they put them on their heads :lol:, large plastic cat balls (dollar tree has these) the heavy cardboard tubes like the rolls of vacuum seal bags come on,pieces of pvc pipe.small plastic bottles with a few rocks in them, soda cans work too, but mine can pull off the tape so be careful..chunks of untreated wood to chew. cardboard boxes (remove any tape and hot glue them shut) If you can find them the baby keys like my kids used to have(I can't find them anymore)Basically, anything that they can pick up and throw, they like to make noise. :D

One favorite toy for my bunnies is the toilet paper roll stuffed with hay, but katiebear have great suggestions for fun free toys.

Another thing they love (if space allows) is a digging box. They will make a mess, but they love it!

My pet bunnies were very social, and also liked to perch. Always laid out in plain sight, no hidey holes for them.

Latest posts

Back