Buying a Trio of Tris. The dreaded Mini Rex Tricolor

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessie15273

Reaction score
Just about 8 weeks ago, I contacted a breeder about 45 minutes away. I needed a new Tricolor Buck! The only buck she had is a charlie, which isnt terrible, considering my 3 does I have left are all solid. I have a red doe, and a Black Otter doe that carries the Harlequin/tri gene. I will be able to get tricolors from both of those combinations. I also have a black doe that carries who knows what. I do know she carries Dilute, which is really neither detrimental or beneficial.

One of my county 4-H people, who live right around the corner from me has 2 litters, and i am getting a tri doe from each. One has great fur, and the other has great Color, and the buck has great type! I may have something good here!

Now the thing is, there will be a lot of line breeding going on.

The little buck's mother, Clem, is the daughter of Hank. Hank just so happens to be the father of the two does I like. Now the Mother of the one doe, is also the mother of clem.

AND the other doe will be the granddaughter of my red doe, who is also the mother of my otter doe!

Shorter: :lol:
The buck I am getting will be the son of a full sister to one of the does.
Other doe is my red does granddaughter and otter does half-aunt

It looks like I will be crossing in some other colors soon!
Im hoping to get some new blood at Convention!

sounds like a plan. hope it works out for you. i gave up my tri adventure when i sold all my mini rex.

Tri's are so hard...I admire your fortitude!!!! I think they are gorgeous but don't have the cage space to even consider them. Good Luck!!!!

Congrats on the new buns! I think part of the fun of mini rex are the colors. Love the tris and it sounds like you have a solid plan of what you are doing. Can't wait to see pictures of baby tris, how fun!!!

Back