Business plan

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mosherd1

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been posted in the past but this is my first post and have not made it through all of the previous posts yet. I was wondering if anyone could give me a business plan or a link to a business plan for their rabbitry. I am in no way looking to get rich, but a hobby that would make me a couple of extra bucks per year for "fun money." I have heard everything from "the best you can do is break even" to "there is a huge demand for rabbits and there is definitely money in it." I would like to eat some but to be able to sell the remaining. Do most of you sell to a processor or to your local market only? If you sell locally how have you developed your markets? Thanks so much,

Hello Mosherd1,
you will do best by using word of mouth.
You could also post on any message boards in your area.
Once a few people discover your rabbits they will pass it on to
their friends. With Rabbits Patients is more than a virtue,
it is a necessity! As in "All things come to those who wait!
I have bought a few things with Rabbit money but it is always
either Feast or Famine. Whatever you do, think with your head,
not your heart. I sell to both the Processor and to locals.
Price your rabbits reasonably but don't give them away!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I think the reason you hear such different things is because the costs of raising as well as market demands can vary so much from region to region. I just started breeding and don't have big plans. But I've been watching the classifieds around here (northern WV/SW corner of PA). From watching the classifieds, pet rabbits go from free to $10. Purebred meat run higher. I've yet to see an add for Californians within 20 miles of Morgantown. Go a little further out and you can find them for $20-$30. New Zealand's typically run a little less, but still start around $15. Best I can tell rabbits are selling at these prices since the ads don't rerun from week to week.

Also, you mention selling to a processor. Do you have one in your area you could call and talk to? I know in WV rabbit meat has to be processed by a licensed facility. But there are none in the state that I've been able to find.

I'm on my phone so can't easily link to them for you, but there have been a couple threads recently on the cost of raising rabbits. Again, it varies drastically by area but may give you a better feel for the costs you'd be facing.

I actually just found out this morning that the closest processor is over 3 hours away, so that may be out as a reliable option. I have 2 young girls at home and to spend a whole day driving would not go over so well with the wife! I could see myself making a couple of extra dollars as long as I could sell them for at least $15 a piece retail. Less than that would not be worth it I do not think. I guess the ads that I see for "free" rabbits and $5.00 rabbits scare me but as you mentioned they are probably not referring to "meat" rabbits, probably just older rabbits that were pets that noone wants anymore. I wish there was a way to guage the market before jumping in but I think that is why we start slow.

Start slow-- Build up the quality of your herd before going for quantity-- There is no harm in selling alive meat rabbit, And learn to process your own for your freezer. Look up your state laws concerning selling meat off a farm- regulations applying to poultry are usually the ones applied to rabbits

Latest posts

Back