Buckwheat, anyone?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frosted Rabbits

Reaction score
Okay, I decided to look up a couple plants belonging to the 'buckwheat' family. Some common names-- Buckwheat, nodding buckwheat, tearthumb, various smartweeds, etc.

The Polygonums seem to be 'rabbit resistant", while the Fagopyrums can be very questionable. This is the time of year for buckwheat members to be real visible. I decided not to try feeding any this year-- not until I have enough rabbits in order to justify keeping a 'tester' again.

know for sure you have it, don;t use it--yes, buckwheat is grown as a grain-- and that variety has escaped-- BUT, from what I can find, unless you know for sure-- avoid it. A report out of New Mexico indicates it is toxic to range animals. A report out of Australia indicates the resistant to rabbits- yet at the same time indicates safe for rabbits. go figure.
I suppose, if I could buy the grain itself, and plant it.....

I actually grow buckwheat as a cover crop for my garden, so I know for sure it's common buckwheat. I have tied up about half of the crop to be fed as winter food and the other half gets split between fresh bunny food and garden compost. All my rabbits did just fine with it, although it isn't their favorite green thing. They'll eat it but they always look hopeful that I have something like raspberry shoots hidden up my sleeve. I have never fed it as a grain.

I both did a bit of research on Lady's Thumb (Polygonum persicaria) as a result of a question on HT. It is a member of the buckwheat family and is edible both for people and rabbits.

http://www.stoptheride.net/2007/05/weed ... table.html DO NOT USE THIS LINK! It doesn't work for a reason...seems to have been taken over by a sex site. NOT for weeds and plants anymore that's for sure. ( moderator)

Akane also checked into it:
This site also lists persicaria as edible. It seems to apply to all species.

http://www.luminearth.com/2010/09/20/la ... ersicaria/

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back