Buck Resting Period?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragongreg

Reaction score
Hello All,

Currently, I have two bucks to service 12 does. Since one of my bucks is a creme d, I've been asked to stud him out a couple of times and I was wondering is there an appropriate gap or waiting period between him servicing the does. He seems "ready" any time. But, I'd guess I should give him rest for two or three days inbetween "dates" :lol:

My NZ buck has also done a nice job for us and he's scheduled for a stud visit this weekend.

We are expecting our first NZ buck and creme d crosses early next week and are really excited about potential color variations and such. Have also crossed him with a champagne creme d and we are equally looking forward to the color mix.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

A buck can easily service two or three does in one day. A rest of a day or two between breedings will probably give him plenty of time to regenerate his "stores". :)

I would caution you against using your bucks for stud service. Not only may the does be carrying venereal disease, but they may also be carrying diseases that your herd is not immune to. If you do decide to stud them out, they should be quarantined away from the rest of your herd for at least 30 days, just as you would quarantine any new rabbits.

Holy Wow! I never considered that. Great advice...Just goes to show what you dont know. Thanks so much!!

I never recommend stud service. I would sell a bred doe, before I do a stud service. Maybe get another doe in exchange and put her in quarantine.

I would also pass on studding out a buck, too easy to pick up vent disease from other rabbits especially if you don't know where they have been.

Latest posts

Back