Brought Buck inside, panting- when is it safe to return him

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraNJ

Reaction score
So we are up to 100F. I have been doing the frozen water bottles, the frozen marble tiles and swapping them out, even got up at 4 am to swap tiles out since it didn't go below 90F last night. We are a good 25F degrees hotter than normal highs and lows so this has been an extreme temperature change.

I also put the sprinkler on- it hits just the front of the hutch but the rabbits do go get wet and then go back to the back of their hutch.

My mixed bun and female Beveren look fairly comfortable. The Beveren Buck was starting to pant a little- just a little but the other rabbits were not and he seemed less energized, just was laying when I came over. So, I brought him in the house. My husband has the extra cages in NC for the rabbits he is picking up for me. So, WInnie is in a laundry basket.

He is not panting anymore. I gave him a frozen bottle, some water and hay and he is now on a mission to escape. I am wondering how long does he need to stay in? SHould I keep him in until tonight or is it safe now that he is cool (his ears feel cool- my house has AC and it is 74 in here)?

Sorry for the book but I only have these 2 Beverens and don't want anything to happen to them.

It sounds like you found him right away since he recovered so quickly- he clearly feels fine now if he is making a bid for freedom!

You might want to dunk him in a bucket of cool water before putting him back in his cage, and then check on him every once in a while. Do you have a fan that you could put by his hutch?

I'd have to go unearth a fan from somewhere in the basement. The hutches are under trees- complete shade and always a little breeze. If you think a fan would be best, I'll go find one.

Do I point it at his hutch or at an angle so it isn't directly blowing on him?

I would put it at an angle, but if it is breezy anyway, it probably wont help much.

Thanks! I gave him a good, cool, rinse in the bathtub and then took him back out to his hutch. He has been nice and active. Ate, drank, eliminated so I think he is safe.

I am probably a little paranoid about these rabbits and being a little overly careful about the heat. I appreciate your advice, thanks again!

Back