Brindle Type Marking on Californian Rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LopLover

Reaction score
I have seen some rabbits at shows that appeared to have brindle-type markings on their points. What could cause this? Any colors that could be crossbred in to cause this?

I'm not sure, but I think that kits born in colder seasons of the year are more prone to having more 'smut' in their coat? It's supposed to molt out though. At least that's what I've heard, but since I don't breed them maybe someone with experience will chime in.

10426311_418646934967059_6341704230260366247_n.jpg

It was coloring similar to this. I've seen it a couple of times. This rabbit had a prime line so I know it wasn't molt.

That is caused by cold temperatures.

The himilayan gene is temperature sensitive so the points that are cooler on the body develop pigment while warmer areas lack pigment and are white.

One of my Cali does ended up looking like she had black napkin rings around the bases of her ears, while the remainder of both her ears just stayed grey like they were in the summer. Did the bottoms molt when it was cold, and the rest when it was warm?

Another Cali wound up with various shades of black and grey stripes around his ears.

LopLover":3q4o7wu4 said:
10426311_418646934967059_6341704230260366247_n.jpg

It was coloring similar to this. I've seen it a couple of times. This rabbit had a prime line so I know it wasn't molt.

That rabbit has a smooshy face....

Miss M":1ir1futd said:
One of my Cali does ended up looking like she had black napkin rings around the bases of her ears, while the remainder of both her ears just stayed grey like they were in the summer. Did the bottoms molt when it was cold, and the rest when it was warm?

Another Cali wound up with various shades of black and grey stripes around his ears.
probably.

There was an experiment where the back of a himilayan rabbit was shsved and a cold pack placed there, when the fur grew back in it was dark.

This isn't the actual experiment but a visualization of what happened.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 337
It was an older experiment and the rabbits were restrained just to see the coat change colour :( and you'd never get permission to do it again with the strict criteria needed for animal experiments

I have seen the effect in siamese cats that have had fur shaved for procedures, when they come back for follow up visits the spot would be a different colour than the surrounding fur :)

Back