Breeds and taste ?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The flavour of the meat is influenced by how they are fed, but I really doubt that the breed of rabbit has anything to do with it. The age of the rabbit could also have an influence.

Interesting question, I know the feed would affect the flavor of the meat. I think that there is a difference in flavor of differnt breeds of cattle. Is there a difference in differenct breeds of chickens? Someone with good taste buds and a variety of differnt breeds of rabbits is gonna have to answer i think.

__________ Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:09 pm __________

Them angora rabbits dont appear that they would be as tasty as californians<br /><br />__________ Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:11 pm __________<br /><br />but the chocolate rex look pretty tasty,,,,,,,,,i think it would need to be a blind taste test, not knowing which breed you were eating,,our mind play tricks on us with taste of food sometimes

SlowFood USA has a program called the Ark of Taste, which performs blind taste-tests on various heritage livestock breeds, comparing flavor and texture. There are verified differences between certain breeds, American Chinchillas being one of the better tasting for example.

I personally find Harlequins to be delicious. Our Harlequins always tasted better then our Palominos hands down.

That being said, there are breeds that are easier to process! Silver Martens are a pain in the butt to skin, as I've found working at a processing plant. Flemish crosses are much easier to process, but they come apart much easier if you pull hard on the pelt.

toastedoat37":9vw096wg said:
but the chocolate rex look pretty tasty,,,,,,,,,i think it would need to be a blind taste test, not knowing which breed you were eating,,our mind play tricks on us with taste of food sometimes

Pleeeeeze, can someone send Toastedoats some rabbit meat???? :lol:

Thanks for the laugh, dude!!! I can't wait for you to cook your first rabbit. I expect a bite-by-bite description of the experience! Also, have you decided on which rabbit recipe you will cook first?

Latest posts

Back