Breeding the right rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlbinoGiant

Reaction score
So my buck is a REW or albino otherwise known and his gene is not very strong so when I breed him with another rabbit, lets say the doe is either grey or light brown I always get a lot of black bunnies and no REW white, or pure white bunnies. The black rabbits never sell because nobody wants them, people like the lighter or mixed colors. Sometimes I will get a zombie eyed bunny or two in the litter where the eye isn't completely red but a whitish pale blue. In my second litter I did better with the same buck but a different doe and I got some desirable patterns and colors so one of the babies will be used to breed a next lot for an even better litter which wont be until the summer now. I still got a few black bunnies on the second lot. I also have a grey and white mini lop which I'm hoping turns out to be a doe. Mini lops sell reasonably well and tend to make better house pets. Its not really about money but more of the science and the learning aspect from it. It can be very rewarding creating rare colors/patterns.

Do you think the albino gene is absent in my buck?

Last edited:
White is not albino, but caused by two small letter c genes. Genes noted by small letters are recessive so need one from each parent to show. Under the two cc genes making the rabbit white can hide all kinds of coat colors so when breeding with a rabbit that is not cc you will get colored rabbits.
More on colorgenetics here :
http://yellowbrookrabbitry.com/complete-rabbit-colour-genetics-guide/

REW rabbits are rabbits with a ghost costume on. They still have all the other colour genes, it’s just hidden behind the white costume. You aren’t getting any white rabbits from your pairings because your does do not carry the recessive c gene to match his and create REW kits, as tambayo said. There are a few good rabbit colour genetics websites out there, I recommend googling around.

I am aiming to get a multi colored brown and white lop in the next litter as well as some white ones. I have a nice grey and white lop from the last litter that I could breed with my REW lop buck that might produce something that I am aiming for. There is a high chance I could still get black bunnies again I expect a few will be but I might get something good at the same time.

I have demand for some mini lops.

Back