Breeding out a white spot?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahMelisse

Reaction score
I have a buck who has thrown one mismarked kit in each of his litters with different does. A black kit in each litter has a white spot in its nose. I know the easy answer would be to simply not breed him, but I only have two bucks and he was supposed to bring in new lines to my herd.

Since the mismark is showing up only on the self black kits, is it fair to assume that is where it is carried? Could I simply replace him with a non-black/mismarked kit and hope that slowly disappears from my lines? He is a great buck otherwise and he is not mismarked, but this is really starting to annoy me.

Tips? Advice?

It may be hiding in the other kits, just not visible in them.

But, you could keep back one of his sons and test breed him on a black doe to see if the spot show up.

If it's a white spot on the nose that's showing up, it's sounds very likely like he carries the Vienna gene. That can hide for generations and then show up when you least expect it.
The safest bet would be not to use him again.
But of course if his type and lines really improves your herd in other ways, it may be worth keeping him and just resigining yourself to having a few mismarked kits to deal with.

Does it look like Maggie's blue at the top of the page?
I wanted to get some and create a breed with white spotted noses.... of course I'm always doing things like that.... which is one of the reasons I have too many rabbits. :bash:

One has a slightly smaller white mark on the nose than the rabbittalk picture above and the second rabbit has a large white mark covering from one side of its lip to the edge of its whiskers. I am regretting that dumb trade for this buck everyday now. Ofcourse the breeder never told me that this shows up in a random rabbit in every generation of this bucks pedigree until AFTER we traded :bash: . He is a good wooler though so I'll just keep the mismarked kits for the freezer when they show up. Any rabbits sold from him will just go home with a warning that if bred, this mark may show up... at least others will have better warning then I got.

avdpas77":iafsqygr said:
Does it look like Maggie's blue at the top of the page?
I wanted to get some and create a breed with white spotted noses.... of course I'm always doing things like that.... which is one of the reasons I have too many rabbits. :bash:

:lol: i have had the same thought!
and i'm right with ya on the too many thing! i dont think its that many.... but my empty pockets say it... i've just barely been able to keep up buying goat and rabbit feed from trading and selling rabbits.

now i have these two gorgous chocolate w/ some white dutch/minirex kits. and of course one has the adorable white nose. and they are a buck and a doe. and have all the colors i want in the background... GAH!! cursed, blessing this rabbitosis! :lol:

ohiogoatgirl":xnias0k2 said:
now i have these two gorgous chocolate w/ some white dutch/minirex kits. and of course one has the adorable white nose. and they are a buck and a doe. and have all the colors i want in the background... GAH!! cursed, blessing this rabbitosis! :lol:

Of course they are! I think the rabbits conspire against us sometimes. :paranoid:

I would at least tell anyone who buys from that line about the possibility of white spots appearing. I personally wouldn't buy it at that point (I can deal with the occasional stray white hair, but not a spot), but I've noticed that angoras seem to have problems such as light tone nails showing up often. The breeder should of told you at the get go. I find that very dishonest to not tell the new owner information like that. I include a lot of information about my rabbits. I have a notebook to record pregnancy successes,kit success rates, and anything that should be recorded.

I would probably check his toenails to see if they are the correct color.

All the toenails look to be dark on the 6-week old... The 1-week old it is a little hard to tell still.

Luckily most of my rabbits are sold as "woolers" and not for breeding. But I will definitely be noting that any offspring from this buck may carry a random spotting gene on all of their pedigrees/sale papers. There's no need to hide such a thing from a buyer... they have the right to know that they may not want to breed an animal due to a hereditary fault like this. I hate when people are dishonest and the breeder I got the buck from KNEW he could pass this on. She was trouble on so many levels.

Latest posts

Back