breeding mother to son.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLittleBunny10

Reaction score
I want to breed Marshmellow with her son.
I searched for that, but got a TON of things saying you can, you can't, you can. :shock:
So can I?
Or will it cause problems?

just do it.

realize the breeding mom and son can bring out the bad traits as well as the good traits. It's a good way to set traits.

Just eat or feed any bad traits that come up.

I'm definitely not an expert... but this is my understanding:

You can. Just be aware that all the good traits will be amplified, and so will all the bad traits. If there is a hidden, recessive, bad (or good) trait, chances are that it will show itself in the offspring. Make sure that the mother and the son do not both have the same bad traits. It just has to do with whether or not the mother/son breeding will lead to a new or more prevalent bad trait.

If you breed for meat, it is a lot easier. Any with bad traits can be eaten, and taken out of the gene pool... and the others with few bad traits also have the good traits, and probably have few recessives for the bad traits.

well, I'm trying to get a BEW...
the doe I want to breed is my avatar, and the buck is this one. He has blue eyes, but it's hard to see, he is the orange one
7661_graceisaac1.jpg

7661_graceisaac.jpg

Yes it is okay to breed them and i love his coloring, looks like chocolte tort. I wish i had that color!
You will get 50% bew and 50% vienna marked.

I have bred bews and vienna marked for years and i'm about to do a father x daughter breeding.

If they're both Vienna marked, then half your kits will be non-carrier, and the other half will be BEW.
The doe in your avatar is a broken, right? So, you should get half broken kits, half solid kits (although you won't be able to tell with the BEW). As for color... I really can't tell very well in the picture, but they look like the same color. So, as long as there aren't any recessives, you should get the same color kits (besides the BEW).
But also be aware of body type (that's a big category), fur, and personality (temperament, mothering skills, ect.). I don't know what you're breeding for (meat, show, pet, ect.), but just keep in mind the other factors too.

well, the kits in her last litter where dehydrated, and in full sunlight, so that might of been it.
I haven't figured out the cataract though, and vets are too expensive (but I do have a friend who is a vet who has mini lops, I might ask her)

Dood":8ttjnvuu said:
Before you breed, have you discovered what was wrong with her eye and the cause of death in the last litter?

cataract-or-what-t17282.html

3-1-2-weeks-old-and-a-broken-paw-t14589.html

Hmm, good catch. Well if the eye is still like that, and you breed them together, you will know soon enough if there is a genetic issue. I would plan to keep kits longer than I would usually keep them to see how things go.

A mother to son breeding of JW got me three of the best JW I have, and one with malocclusion. The doe from that litter died without any reason a few months ago. I will try again toon to see if that was something random or a trend to be avoided.

my friend (who I sold Twix to) has a doe, and we will be breeding our does on the same day.
so if something goes wrong we can foster kits from our does.

__________ Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:18 pm __________

or I can breed her to Twix (baby pic)
ltwix_zps192ba46a.jpg

or caramel (baby pic)
lcaramel_zpsc9bab27c.jpg

I don't have a really recent photo of Twix, he looks like Caramel (in his new pic) but a different picture

What beautiful babies. I'm trying to get BEW too and can't figure out any other way than to breed half brother to half sister- does anyone know if that's safer than mother to son breedings?

Jersey Wooly and Netherland dwarf. What I've done so far is bred my BEW Netherland dwarf to two different JW does and my plan is to breed the 1/2 brother to 1/2 sister and hope to get a JW with blue eyes. I think my chances are 25% of getting a rabbit with 2 wool genes and 2 BEW genes, but if I get it I will be the only person in New Zealand to have a BEW jersey wooly.

The avatar was a cross between my BEW cashmere lop and one of my Jersey Woolies - I thought i could use the offspring to be develop the JW BEWs but have decided not to because they grew out to be too large with really long ears- but they where all super fluffy and cute with nice colors and round heads but just too big.

oh :)
My doe is a mini/holland lop mix and my buck is a purebred mini lop.
so their babies where kinda so/so :)

squidpop":1o8pbhyb said:
The avatar was a cross between my BEW cashmere lop and one of my Jersey Woolies - I thought i could use the offspring to be develop the JW BEWs but have decided not to because they grew out to be too large with really long ears- but they where all super fluffy and cute with nice colors and round heads but just too big.

If you have time and space I would not let that stop you. Some of my best kits come from does with 3 1/2 inch ears and 4lbs. If you have a small typey buck, or reversed, you could make that work. When JW were first created, from French Angoras (7-9lb rabbits with big ears) and N. Dwarfs, so you can keep crossing till the size comes down.

so...
I think I will try it..
If all the kits start suddenly dying (like last time) I might be able to figure whats wrong.

Back