breeding dilute mini rex?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joybellfarm

Reaction score
Ok im going to start working more towards dilutes. Had a few pms asking for lilac and chocolates. So from what info i gather liliac will be the fun color to work with. Lilac cant be bred to black but can bred bred to blue or chocolate. So i got a doe a nice broken lilac reserved. And if she grows up nice ill get her. So What happens if i breed her to a blue buck or a chocolate buck will i get a mix or mostly the color sire is? I will be looking for a buck to go with her from the same breeder and she has black, chocolate and blues not closely related to her. And if anyone has a good site that talks about these colors send them to me i know a few but not alot.

Why do you say that lilac can't be bred to black? I currently don't have any lilacs, but if I had one I wouldn't hesitate to breed it to a black, especially a black that carried chocolate and/or dilute, if I thought that would improve the next generation. Generally the self colors are pretty "safe" to cross with each other.

To answer your question, breeding a lilac to a blue would result in all dilutes - you would get blues, and if the blue parent carried chocolate, you would get lilacs as well. Breeding to a chocolate would result in 100% chocolate-based colors: you'd get chocolates, and if the choc. parent carried dilute, you'd get lilacs as well.

Sorry yes i can but would get all blacks from what i read. I want to pick a nice buck that will give me chances to get lilac. Thanks you help me understand. So a nice Chocolate buck would be my best bet if not a nice blue. Here is what im getting. Just need a solid buck to go with the does.

Attachments

• 2BuckGC Ezdae's Swagger ® and GC JH Night on the Townbuck.jpg
    2BuckGC Ezdae's Swagger ® and GC JH Night on the Townbuck.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 413
  • 1doeEvee's Otterwars, chocolate otter x JH Signed.jpg
    1doeEvee's Otterwars, chocolate otter x JH Signed.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 413
  • 3doe.jpg
    3doe.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 413
If a lilac doe is bred to chocolate you will get all chocolate unless the buck carries dilute, then you could get a lilac. You won't get black or blue.

If a lilac doe is bred to blue you will get all blue unless the buck carries chocolate, then you could get a lilac. You won't get black or chocolate.

If a lilac doe is bred to a black who carries chocolate and blue (either had blue and chocolate parents or is proven) you will get all 4 self colours.

If there are other hidden reccesives you could get other colours like REW, shadeds or torts

Back