Breeding attempts

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So It's my second attempt trying to breed one doe with no success. The buck was proven and impregnated my other doe at the same time. At this point I am ready to butcher her and find a replacement.

Just curious as to everyone's thoughts on this. How many attempts do you make before parting with a doe?

It is all according to how important she is to my breeding scheme.

If I were raising show stock, and she was expensive or had rare traits... I might try try for a year. If she was a meat rabbit, and I had other choices or more young possibilities coming on.. I wouldn't waste much time on her.

Does are often hard to get started in the Fall. Many new does kept over the summer and not bred due to heat, maybe 8 or more months old and don't breed near as easy as a 5 or 6th month old doe.

I used to be against breeding does that were not "full grown" I have since been shown to be in error by friends who bred their rabbits younger. Now I have switched myself.

:welcome: FloridaNative!

What do you mean exactly, by "attempts"? Was she serviced by the buck (he fell off) and didn't conceive, or she has not been receptive and "lifted" for him?

You might find this thread helpful, especially if you are new to breeding rabbits:

judging-a-doe-s-readiness-and-breeding-tips-t9869.html

If you have further questions after reading it, please don't hesitate to ask! :)

Just a meat rabbit with no specific positive traits. Actually she's pretty skiddish. I thought she'd be my favorite due to her size But now I think she's overweight and believe that's the problem. She's been larger since I got her even thought she doesn't seem to over eat.

I don't know if the buck "fell off". But he was pretty big an she didn't really have a choice. I also left him in for a few hours until she got agitated. So I guess maybe she wasn't receptive but I'm more inclined to believe she's overweight.

My other doe actually has some kits. I like their coats and stock much better so my thought was to keep an extra kit and use them as breeders.

Just wanted to get some input before I butchered her since you can't take that decision back.

Back