Brand new

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, that's what we said... After 8 months decided to get another buck (we raise Silver Fox). While at the sellers house we found out he was the VP of one of the regional Silver Fox Rabbit Breeders Clubs. He invited us to a show in GA coming up in 3 weeks. At that time we'd raised 3 litters, putting most in the freezer. We had a couple of buns that we thought might compete (just based on us looking at videos, etc) but really just wanted to get them registered with ARBA. So, three weeks later we were at the show, we got them registered, and by the end of the 7 events they were judged in, got a leg for our buck and 2 legs for our doe towards grand champion (you need 3). Well, that got us hooked. Went 2 weeks later to another show and finished our doe. So, now we are dual-purpose breeders. Love the show aspect much more than I though we would. Great group of people, lots of learning, super opportunities to network. Oh yes, welcome to the forum btw. Lots of great people here with years of experience. There are no stupid questions here, we all learn from each other

Yeah, that's what we said... After 8 months decided to get another buck (we raise Silver Fox). While at the sellers house we found out he was the VP of one of the regional Silver Fox Rabbit Breeders Clubs. He invited us to a show in GA coming up in 3 weeks. At that time we'd raised 3 litters, putting most in the freezer. We had a couple of buns that we thought might compete (just based on us looking at videos, etc) but really just wanted to get them registered with ARBA. So, three weeks later we were at the show, we got them registered, and by the end of the 7 events they were judged in, got a leg for our buck and 2 legs for our doe towards grand champion (you need 3). Well, that got us hooked. Went 2 weeks later to another show and finished our doe. So, now we are dual-purpose breeders. Love the show aspect much more than I though we would. Great group of people, lots of learning, super opportunities to network. Oh yes, welcome to the forum btw. Lots of great people here with years of experience. There are no stupid questions here, we all learn from each other.
Thanks! I usually avoid animal groups because people can be condescending to beginners but this forum seems to be an awesome group of people. That's awesome! I have daydreamed about doing more like show rabbits. I think my kids would love that. I don't know where to start but I think it would be fun when we get comfortable.

We started with bowls and it was a very short period of time that I was over it. Seems like I was always scrubbing bowls. If they didn't poop in it then it felt slimy so, washing bowls 2x a day. I have one doe who will grab her water bowl and flip it. I decided to go with nipples but I have a pump in the barrel. When it gets hot here I need to be able to cool the water down with frozen water bottles but if it wasn't moving the stuff in the tubing would still be hot.

I went with cheap nipples off Amazon and we have had to change out a few here and there. My next step is to get better nipples and a filter so nothing gets in to clog the nipples.
I will definitely choose nipples and take your thoughts in consideration as I'm searching amazon for a system.

I have been using them for years. I had one leak, and I just replaced it--but if they still come with jenky plastic push on T connectors, get the brass ones and some hose clamps instead. The back of the crock connection is still plastic but I used a hose clamp there too, tightened gently. Mostly it keeps a chicken from crashing into the hose during a moment of excitement and dumping the entire 150 gallon reservoir on the coop floor. :LOL: I have had the hose clog once in a while...maybe once a year it is worth really flushing everything out. Rainwater feeds the reservoir, and so I really get to set it and forget it most of the year.

Back