Blue SF Genetics

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mystang89

Reaction score
If I had an SF doe that gave birth to a beautiful light blue SF, kept the beautiful light blue SF and mated her to a cousin blue SF who is of a darker blue would any of the kits come out blue or would it skip a generation? Explanation clear as mud?

Blue to blue should produce all blue, unless there are other recessive genes in play. Like rew or chocolate.

Are you are certain that your light blue isn't a lilac?

No, not certain as I don't know what lilac is. I will try to take a picture and post it of the two of them today.

Blue and self are recessive so a self blue bred to a self blue can only produce self and blue BASED rabbits meaning you would definitely get more self blue, and it wont skip a generation, but could also get blue sable, or blue point or blue tort or blue chocolates which is called lilac :)

Clear as mud !

Here is a pic of the light blue buck that my wife loves
and here is a pic of the doe that hates me.

I know they may not look it in the pic but in real life they really are a noticeably different color lol

I don't know a whole lot about the genetics of rabbit colors, only enough to serve my purposes. But Both look blue...to me. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong but could one of them be a self chin blue? Or am I misunderstanding the way that self chins look? Or even that there are such a thing as self chins?

Heck, it all makes sense in my head if only I could have what I understand make sense on paper...or a computer screen.

Yeah.

Black and maybe some blue, if the black carries it. If they are out the same lines that produced the steel, be on the lookout for gold tipped blue steels too. That could be neat in a full blown SF coat.

By brown do you mean chocolate? I haven't had a single chocolate in any of my SFs so seeing one would be cool.

LOL, my bad, I mis-read that as full "brown" coat. My mind is a bit "blown" atm with all the work I've been doing.

Latest posts

Back